1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks AP with GbE and Wifi On/Off Schedule

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShakeyJake, 15 Nov 2013.

1. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Hey folks, quick question.

I need a wifi access point for my room that shares the signal from an incoming ethernet cable to a few other ethernet devices and a wifi network. I had an edimax unit that was really simple and home netwroky (non-professional I suppose) but that broke so I bought a Mikrotik routerboard. This is miles too complicated and anything that needs changing requires a month of googling tutorials.

What I need is a hardy, gigabit (5 port is fine) switch with wifi N that can be turned on or off manually or ideally scheduled to go off at midnight and back on at 8am. The wifi that is, not the ap.

Recommendations, please? :)

2. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

The routerboard can probably do all that :) shout if you need help configuring it

3. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Just had a look and my netgear WAP can do scheduled wireless on and off :)

4. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Thanks for the suggestion DT, will look into it. Buzzons, I know the routerboard can do all of that, that's part of the problem! It's marketed as an AP, but it wants to be full-on router, which means that I have to set up new wifi permissions (and my tablet won't connect regardless!), open ports, and tell it to stop being a damned dhcp server. The problem is I keep locking myself out, so it wont be connected to, and then I have to do a factory reboot and start all over again.

I'd really, really prefer the routerboard, even if for no other reason that it cost me £70, but the thing is infuriatingly obtuse to use.

5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

there's an IRC chan on irc.z.je (#routerboard) that you could jump into and ask? but yes they're a pain in the ass to set up

6. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

7. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

No built in controller though no? I thought with unifi stuff you need to have a server/machine on to act as a controller. I have a unifi set up in my office I am in at the moment and I thought the caveat for the system was the fact you needed A.N.Other machine to run as a controller.

8. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

it depends on what services you want to use. lots of it just needs the controller to set things up.

if you want captive portal then you will need the controller all the time.

though it's not normally hard to work this out, as any PC can act as the controller.