1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics DIY monitor lift?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by quizz_kid, 22 Aug 2013.

1. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Hi guys.

I'm planning to build a desk with a built in stealth monitor lift, James Bond style.

The basic idea is to keep the monitor hidden when not in use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm looking for a DIY solution here I think, cause I don't think I could pull out more than say £150. Is this even possible?

Ideas are very appreciated!

Another idea is of course to find a ready-made lift and try to get sponsored...

//Quizz

2. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

What sort of size and weight monitor would you be looking at?
    A small motor, switch gear and some little limit switches wouldn't be too much (probably under £100 mark, but don't hold me to this). I think the majority of the work could be in the mechanical side of things. Especially the lifting mechanism. Were you thinking rack and pinion or ropes or linear motors?

3. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

I have a newer 24" WS LCD I'd like to use... Don't know what a standart monitor of that size weights, maybe 3 KG or something.

I have a rather steady geared DC motor(about 60RPM). It's not very big though, don't think it could handle something like this. I have some limit switches too...

About the lifting mechanism I've no idea. Rack and pinion was my first though, but a linear motor might be a good idea... I have access to a lasercutter and a decent metal shop, if that could widen my options?

EDIT: Found this cheap linear actuator, could it work with some mount modifications maybe?

Last edited: 22 Aug 2013
  4. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

5. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

Having access to those tools really does widen your options. You could look at an aluminium frame and use the motor like a winch. Just put rollers in channels to guide a frame up and down. My next query would be how to adequately support it once it is up. One option might be to keep a large portion of the frame inside the base when it is fully extended.

6. landspeeder95

landspeeder95 What's a Dremel?

Over the last few years, the kids in my Science Olympiad team have used motor driven threaded rod - a singe side Captured nut with bearing (or low friction slides) moves up and down - meaning that the nut does not twist. In 1 instance, a plate rode up between 4 rails - the plate itself was thick metal that had been threaded. It is slow, but smooth and consistent and would reliably lift a number of balanced objects without jerking.

7. Mark_Skeldon

Mark_Skeldon What's a Dremel?

There's tons of kits on fleabay that make these for TV's.

They're used on high end boats, caravans and in some beds.

Something like this is what you'd be after.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TV-LIFT-/180629942956?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_TV_Wall_Mounts_Brackets&hash=item2a0e6232ac

I got one cheap last year at £50 and built a hardwood hidden cabinet for a 40" TV with one for my parents as a Christmas present. They're dead easy to fit, quiet, but quite slow.

You could always try here: http://www.popuptvs.net/

Or just Google "tv lift kits". There's quite a lot of homebrew stuff that uses a very simple linear actuator. I bought the kit as it was cheaper than an actuator at the time :clap:

8. Mark_Skeldon

Mark_Skeldon What's a Dremel?

Further inspiration: Look here

It's good to get a feel for how you want it to look before you plough into it.
    One of the things I hadn't planned for was the 'hook' that stands proud at the top of the TV (it's what lifts the flap). Personally I don't like the look, but they didn't mind.

Ideally you should make something where the flap is totally stealth on the top once closed. A hidden button also looks the bees knees. I ran two rocker switches under the bed at arms length. That way you can raise/lower from either side. Ideally I'd have liked a 'click once' to raise/lower. But in the end I just went for rockers...

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

There's a bunch of prebuilt beds that have automated TV screens just like your desk. Might be worth checking them out to see how they're made. DFS and the like should have them