1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Noise through headphones

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Dean R, 26 Dec 2013.

1. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, I've received a pair of QPAD QH-90 headphones for Christmas and have a bit of an issue with my sound.

Whenever I plug them into my front port headphones I get horrible static sound from things such as the mouse moving around the screen, the disk drive working etc. There is just a non stop humming/buzzing sound when im not doing a thing. You can't notice this sound if music is playing just when it goes quiet.

If i plug the headphones into my sound card at the back with the 'front' connector and put sound settings on Stereo I can get it to work without the noise, however I don't have the full range of sound then.

My card is a Asus Xonar DG. I'm using the original front panel on an Antec 1200 case. The front panel is directly connected to the sound card, not the onboard sound.

I have tried other headphones and the problem still persists.

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Check that the cable isn't running across things like the gpu, as I doubt it is properly shielded, so is possibly picking up high frequency noise from something.

3. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

No it runs down away from the MBO and sound card, through a hole at the back and tidied away neatly in the back of the case before coming out at the top of the case again. Doesnt cross anything except other cables and thats hard to avoid.

Been doing some research and it seems to be a major overlooked problem with Antec cases. Something about it being grounded between the headphone jack and a USB port. Unfortunately, the way the case is designed its completely moulded into the case. I lack any skill to start cutting my case apart and soldering things.

Is there any way to connect the headphones to the jacks on my sonar DG and get full range sound? The only jacks available are Mic/Line in, Front, Side, Center/Sub.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/soundcards/2010/10/26/asus-xonar-dg-review/1

Theres a review there where they're talking about using headphones but im not sure whether they're connected directly?

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Depends on the output levels for your soundcard, but I would suggest plugging into only the front output on the back of the card, you may need an amplifier to produce the levels needed to give a decent sound in your headphones though.

If you have speakers plugged into the soundcard, do they have a headphone jack you could plug into?

5. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Plug it into the "Front" port on your soundcard. Then set the asus software to Stereo/Headphone/2.1

6. Andrew G

Andrew G Where's my Crayons!

Would anyone know if buying a ring of ferite (not a magnet) fix this? You use to get them as standard in old PC's to cut out "line" noise, anyone tried it? I play a lot fo WoT in a clan and ESL league and too have to suffer listening to people if a god awful HISSSSSSS when they speak its enough to buy a job lot of them off of fleebay or something.

7. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

Some integrated sound is crap, period - a choke might help but it won't stop the noise from the internals. If the output is actually coming from the Asus, I've also noticed that the Asus cards in general are massively overhyped for SQ and are really prone to EMI - and the DG series are not exactly amazing performers. I've noticed the Creative boards seem to give better sonic performance in real world sitiations.

From what I understand the QPAD is a rebranded Beyer MMX300. My MMX's came with a USB audio adapter - don't the QPADs ship with those?

EDIT: OK, scratch that - the QPAD QH-1339 is the MMX300 clone.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2014
  8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

That is your problem right there.... Front panel audio jacks have loads of interference with them. only ever plug directly into the back of the sound card.

9. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Does the front panel have the usb ports on the same unit as the audio jacks? If so, there might be a ground loop between the sound card and usb headers. One way to test this is to disconnect the front usb ports from the mobo and try the front audio again.

Edit: I came across this thread that might be relevant to your problem. http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=208880

Last edited: 8 Jan 2014