1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Oculus Rift Crystal Cove brings improved tracking and OLED displays

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 7 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Must say I'm pretty disappointed in this. A camera is not how I hoped they were adding positional tracking.

The oled display has me curious though. They mentioned a while ago that was the ideal type of display for them as it basically has zero latency. The problem was Samsung were the only ones making them (or making good ones?) and wasn't interested in selling them in the low quantities they needed.

So, has Samsung changed their minds or did the Oculus team find another supplier?
    More importantly if it is Samsung could it be one of their higher resolution displays expected to come out this year?

3. Cogwulf

Cogwulf What's a Dremel?

As they said it's cost driven. However using white dots makes it leagues more accurate than the type of algorithms used in the kinect for example.

4. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

i'll agree with being disappointed. the biggest problem being that it wont be possible to use unless you're directly in front of the camera. meaning you need a place to mount it and you cant ever turn completely to your sides(once it cant register the dots it's useless). so no more 360 degree vision.

overall unless they go with like 5 camera(even more inconvenient) i'd prefer the original design without positional tracking over this.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

TBH the camera is more for removing sensor drift, which is a big issue with accelerometers, which I've had lots of experience with in robotics. So even if the camera is only used to remove this whenever you face the camera its a great thing. Otherwise playing a game for several hours at once you'd get quite bad sensor drift, and you can only remove this via physical connections or a vision system like this.

6. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

if they're including both and they put the beads on the head band as well then i would really love this change instead of questioning it. as long as the full 360 is still there i will praise this change to the heavens, if they removed that benefit for this change then i'd probably end up switching to the competition

(also i would hope using the cam would be an optional thing.... absolutely unnecessary if all you're doing at the time is watching a movie)

7. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

^
    Agreed

8. defined

defined Botch-Job

So we going to be standing up while gaming with this? i thought the oculus would be used for sitting on the couch playing games in 3D while being able to move your head slightly to look around the game world.

Dont need to be able to crouch or jump around or move my head 360 like an owl, just want to sit down and be immersed.

I got a feeling they might turn it into some gimmicky 3D/kinect mashup

9. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

it's either external camera with markers on the headset ... or like the CastAR, embedded camera with markers inside the room.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Perhaps the idea is to offer options: Kinect functionality, Leap Motion functionality, eye tracking, Oculus Rift motion tracking all in one setup; choose how you want to interact with a particular game at a particular moment. It's easy to converge the technology into a webcam with some extra sensors; it cold just be built into a monitor as standard. Then all you have to worry about is the reflective dots on the headset. Add a Q-code tag to identify the device to the camera software, and the setup configures itself on the fly. Easy.

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

You got a good point. I am wondering how this will be in a room with a coffee table and you jumping and crouching 'like a blind man in a torture room' I don't know about others but if this thing is over my head I can't see anything except the virtual environment. Well except for the friends in the room with you laughing their ass off and sharing 'your progress' on youtube...

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sony has OLED technology. I'm not sure if they are the supplier though.

13. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Even when sitting your head doesn't just stay in one place and rotate like a gimbal. If you look behind yourself then the natural thing to do is to move your shoulders which changes the position of your head. The subtle difference between how your viewpoint would actually change and the simple rotation which the Oculus currently does probably contributes to motion sickness. I bet if they could do it all with on board sensors then they would, but this solution is cheap and adds additional options for those that want it. Hopefully it will work with any webcam, otherwise I've got to clip another thing to the top of my monitor.

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

They need to hurry up and actually release a consumer product, rather than endless prototypes and developer kits that seem to only go on the heads of journalists!

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Ad astra per aspera.

16. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

virtual reality projects have a history of flopping. delaying and getting it perfect is highly preferential to bankrupting yourself with a doomed product.

17. iggy

iggy Minimodder

standing, sitting, upside down, whatever you want. this isnt some console toy, you'll be able to use it any way you want.

18. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

well that depends on how they make use of that camera.... which is why there are people like me who are hesitant. if it's like others say and it's just an optional feature you can turn off then whatever. but if it isnt then that means the range of ways to use it will plummet.

19. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

They've never given a release date so no real need to do this IMHO. This is an extremely challenging piece of hardware to get right (literally, the cutting edge of consumer products). I don't mind waiting another year (SC Cheesecake!) for them to release the best product they can.

Tags: Add Tags