1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding 4 Video Game Systems In One Box! Need Some Modding Ideas!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by NissanFrontier, 18 Jun 2003.

1. NissanFrontier

NissanFrontier What's a Dremel?

I'm new to these forums(first ever post) so if I do something wrong tell me. I'm going to put a Original Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis and Playstation One(the old version) in a 1/8th inch (I know I need to use 1/4th inch but a hardware store went out of business and I got lots of 1/8th inch plexi) Plexi-glass 13 Inch cube that will be painted black with red flames and aliens as like a theme and I just got a Dremel:dremel: so I'm hoping I can make the flames out of plexi glass but what I need some help is to come up with like cool mods to do, I have cut a hole in the lid of my PS1 which I thought I was the first but I was wrong and I cut a little window in my PS1 controller and replaced the rumble motors with red LEDs so when you hit a wall it flashes red light but I messed up the controller trying to cut a design in the hand grips:waah: but need other ideas so can anyone help? Oh yeah I was thinking about making a project log but all I have is a webcam so I don't think I will be able too:sigh:

2. Madyeti

Madyeti Supermodder & sig shrinking victim

Whoa there, slowdown!

1st of all, I think 1/8 inch plexi might not be thick enough, it probably will flex more than you want. The other thing would be to carefully dissasemble the systems (and keep them working and separated) and see if your dimensions will be enough to house them. Pencil and Paper sketches always help me visualize stuff before I model them in CAD.

The other thing to do is to make a list of mods you want to do once the case is fabricated, and label the order you want to do them for organisation's sake. Hope this helps...

David

PS-->
    Good luck, and welcome to the boards!

3. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

i suggest re inforcing the 1/8 plexy with 1/8 ALU L channel. To create the flames, I suggest routing out a piece of plexy in a flame shape, sand it, put a red led in the side of it, and then glue it to the side of existing plexy, thus creating a flame effect.

4. Sozialcyke

Sozialcyke What's a Dremel?

First off, welcome to the boards. Couple of things I can think of is:

Put excellent circulation in the case, otherwise all the systems might overheat. Also, you should put a switch in there to select which system is running, either the Nintendo, PS1, etc. Will make it easier, since you'd only have to connect one power source.

The other thing I'd look into doing is building a small PC and just run all those systems in emulation. There a plenty of guides on the net on how to do this.

PS Also, and this is not meant as a flame, but try using sentences. It makes it easier to read than one single stream of concious type paragraph :)

5. BruceLee333

BruceLee333 What's a Dremel?

wasnt there already someone who built something like this using all the latest consoles? if so does anyone have a link to it? but nice idea

and that 1/8 does seem a bit thin if you want to be on the safe side ;) :p

6. NissanFrontier

Thanks for the welcomes! Yeah I know 1/8th is going to be a problem but it was all free as much as I want so I can't complain. My dad works on a racecar so he took sheet metal and bent it into like a 13" L bracket. I'm going to put that in the corners to make it stronger. I'm not going to disassemble them. The Original Nintendo I had to, to make it work. I have drawn about a 100 pictures of it and made a 3D version of it on 3D Canvas and have made a cardboard version of it. Here some stuff I want to do: Make Evil Eyes that glow red, I have these awesome effect I'm going to use on it, you take a Sharpie marker and trace a image on to the plexi then paint the other side of the plexi black and the picture is not seen unless you look at it a certain way and I want to put caster wheels on it. Yoshi off of Techtv made one with all the next-gen consoles. I don't have the money to do that.:( I have been planning this for about a month with drawings and tons of planning (I was waiting for my Dremel).

7. BruceLee333

do you have a link to that as i might want to do it as well

guess you cant complain if its free ;) and the metal should hold it in place :p

and that all sounds good, get posting some piccies when its all done:clap: :thumb: :dremel:

8. NissanFrontier

Yoshi has made 2 of them the first one was way better!

First one: http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/supergeek/story/0,24330,3381725,00.html

Second one:
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/supergeek/story/0,24330,3427495,00.html

The Second one has better stuff in it but the first one looks better. This is where I got my idea from. I built one already put i disassembled it to paint it and messed up the paint job and while I had it disassembled it got stepped on and broke it. So I have redesigned it and now I'm ready to start over:dremel:

9. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

umm....dont look to yoshi for inspiration...hes the worst modd3r ever.

10. Sozialcyke

Sozialcyke What's a Dremel?

Here, here hydrogen

11. linear

linear Minimodder

Quit yoshibashing. :nono: I'm in no mood to put up with any of that.

NissanFrontier, welcome to the boards.

12. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

yeh here, here again:lol:

yeh dont make places to put all the games in different spots... like some on else did:p

13. NissanFrontier

WHOA! I say something about yoshi and it's like:miffed:. I have all but 1 12 and 1/2 inch square left (sorry I forgot I change from 13 to 12 and 1/2) and I also need to get some small bolts to old it together. The I'm going to make the inside where the consoles will be and put them in and draw where the controller ports will be and stuff like that. Then disassemble it and cut it out and paint it. Then put it back together and I'm done. Which sounds easy but won't be I'm sure.:dremel:

14. Merce

Merce What's a Dremel?

Welcome aboard. I'm new myself.

I assume you're planning on using a PC with emulators. All the controllers for the consoles you mentioned, basically run off a serial/parallel port. With a little simple soldering, you should be able to set up your cube to run all the games with the same controllers. :rock:

The pinouts for the controllers are all available online, just do a little searching. To get you started, here's one that covers NES and SNES controllers.

EDIT: Sorry, that techtv page didn't want to load. You still might be able to rig all the consoles to work off one controller.

Best of luck to you. :thumb:

Last edited: 23 Jun 2003
  15. NissanFrontier

No I'm using all the original consoles. There going to be no PC in this thing. It's going to have 4 Consoles and I think I'm going to make a place to put my Gameboy Color to recharge. I will have some space left over in the center of the box, I have not decided what to put there. I thought about shelves to hold all the games and controllers. Then I thought if it becomes a heat problem I could put some kind of fan(I don't think I will have a heat problem). I'm trying to decide if I should do I project log when I only have a webcam, what do you guys think?

16. BruceLee333

hell yeah, a project log and pics are what you need :rock: :dremel:

17. NissanFrontier

ok I'm thinking about making one but one problem my sister has the webcam on her computer. I can't just take the webcam plug it in and work right? Cause I don't know eactly where the software is but I could probly find it if I tried hard. Another problem is that I don't have anywhere to host the images:( so I would have to link to a webpage and I can't do that on the project logs right? The pictures will not be good either cause I know no one with a digital camera to take even final pictures:waah:

18. NissanFrontier

I want to draw my video game box in a CAD program can anyone recommend one that is free?

19. NissanFrontier

ok another question. Do Pop Rivets work good on plexi-glass?

20. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

If you are running XP, you might get away with just plugging in the web cam. If not, find the drivers. You can always download them from the manufacturer.

There are places on the web that you can host the pics. At the very least, you can get a free web space location and just provide links to the pics. There are people on here that might host them for you if asked nicely.

You wouldn't be the first person to use a webcam to post pictures with, don't sweat it, just do your best.

I don't know of any free CAD programs. Well, thats not true. ... I just can't think of the name of it. Zap knows...in fact I have a copy of it...if you're on broadband I might be convinced to send it to you. The other option is Sketchup...it has an 8 hour trial period. :search:

I don't imagine pop rivets will work on plexi...smarter to use a screw and washer first. Rivets put alot of pressure on a small spot...bad news for plexi.

Don't post multiple times in a row...use your edit function. Makes you look like a post hog, spammer, whatever.:nono: