Motherboards Intel released schedule for 2014 leaked - no Broadwell??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harlequin, 17 Feb 2014.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

broadwell was delayed to Q1 2015

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Nice to see plenty of Xeons there. Always good to know what's coming to the desktop market :D

4. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

I reckon I lack the will power to delay pressing purchase till august :-( ddr3 for the foreseeable future for this guy <---

5. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

I don't quite understand the situation...new motherboards in June? for what, the Haswell refresh?

and then AGAIN new motherboards next year for Broawell chips??

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

But of course. Buy a new motherboard once a year, damn you !

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea let me just MMMmMM!!!MMM!!!!HELP!!

/bundled into a van and driven away.

NDA, yo.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

oh those 3 painfull letters which mean so much and yet so little ;)

9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Not interested in Broadwell, will probably be picking up a Haswell E cpu though unless of course AMD come up with something worthwhile to me in the next 12 months.

10. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

I think Broadwell could be quite nice; less heat for superior speed...of course it all depends on execution.
    Another matter is that new SSD connector and PCIe SSDs; this should be even more interesting than the chip alone.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's like knowing what Santa is bringing for Christmas the January before. Really kills all the fun, but it does at least let me plan my upgrade :cooldude::lol:

PCIe SSDs in a multitude of styles will be something to watch this year. As long as companies get their act together and release stuff, unlike the last 6 months which has seen next to 0 M.2 drives.

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Just give me a decent Rampage V Extreme with the hybrid cooler for easier watercooling, decent sound and a really good NIC and I will be happy!

Wouldn't mind seeing a decent 512Gb PCI-E SSD!

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Usually a NDA means its closer than further away in CPUs at least.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

or its being released tomorrow and the Non Disclosure Aggreement means they keep their gobs shut ;)

15. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Hmm, perhaps I should wait a few more months as I'm looking to replace my ageing system with a nice new Haswell one.

I was looking at the Maximus VI Formula and an i5/i7 but if a new chipset and DDR4 are not that far away then I might as well wait a bit. It would mean that my already bought DDR3 wouldn't be needed (meh, I can always sell it on) and there's also the risk of the next Maximus Formula board not looking as good as the current one :hehe:

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hybrid WCing depends on having enough thermal capacity for the hardest air cooled environments (= no air flow), while still performing significantly better with water. It's really not easy and if future Haswell-E sockets are LGA2011 derivative (see, see not breaking NDA!), there is very little space to do this. The R4BE's answer was to encapsulate the rear IO in a whole alu block connected with fat heatpipe: maybe that can be WC'ed. And anyway, the Extreme will never have a hybrid: only Formula. Extreme is designed for people to use 3rd party kits like EK or throw it out entirely for LN2, whereas Formula is more rounded for bells-and-whistles.

It means there's a plan in place and I - as marketing - know about it. That's about it. Our official briefing with Intel for 1H14 is next week. Very senior RD people will know what's after Broadwell in a limited scope (white papers etc) to start planning, as tier 1 companies like ASUS will co-work with Intel to some extent on core platform design, but they are under NDA to not even tell co-workers beyond their immediate group.

I will say this though: don't bother waiting for DDR4. Every first gen memory will command a premium price and pseudo-advantage. DDR3 is very mature and the motherboard designs are ~6 generations in now yielding the best compatibility and 2/3rd gen T-Topology designs. 2133-2400 is generally readily available and achievable on every CPU/MB that allows it. The main advantage of migrating from DDR->DDR2 and DDR2->DDR3 is because we ran out of memory capacity at that time, yet 32-64GB DDR3 is still way more than 90% of what people need though.

No chance. ROG RD is always, always working on bettering something. It's the one constant that continually surprises me. Channel/TUF less-so.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Feb 2014
  17. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

M.2 will solve this.

20. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer