1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Htpc * Updated 6/29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by godofuq, 21 Jun 2003.

1. godofuq

godofuq What's a Dremel?

Here it is. The unveiling of the beginning of my HTPC. I started with this:

[​IMG]

After many a dremel wheels, some fantastic measuring (if I must say so myself) and some good old fashioned ingenuity, I've come up with this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, there is no power supply in there. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to live with an external power supply for the time being. As soon as I find an ITX or mATX power supply to my liking and budget, it will be added internally. Eventually, the front panel will include a VFD for display purposes. I still have to finish mounting the hard drive, figure out what I'll be doing with the PS and then start mounting buttons and LEDs to the existing front panel. My hopes is that I won't have to change any of the buttons or LEDs in it as to keep it looking stock. Specs are below.

MSI 845GV-L
    Celeron 1.7ghz
    Crucial 256mb PC2100
    Quantum 10gb (just for the time being)
    64mb Geforce 4 MX440 w/ tv out
    On board sound (until I can find a good half height sound card)
    Windows XP Pro

This will carry all my cds in mp3 format and DVDs in high quality DiVX files.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2003
  2. the_modder

the_modder What's a Dremel?

Looks great :thumb:

Keep up the good work :D Hoe pt see the vdf soon :D

3. godofuq

godofuq What's a Dremel?

Here is the machine in place. The back of the headphone jack has been drilled out and a blue power LED has been added. Also, the original power button on the circuit board has been rewired to be the power button for the HTPC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the keyboard that I am using along with the built in mouse on the right hand side. I really like this purely for its small foot print. I've rewritten controls for both winamp and my divx player to accept the multimedia keyboard inputs so that I don't have to worry about using the mouse to change songs or open movies.

[​IMG]

Now I'll just be waiting around for my LCD.

4. Devil_H@ck

Devil_H@ck What's a Dremel?

Ah damn, I was going to keep this a secret for my mod, but it seems I'm not super original, damn :). Well, it looks nice, now I'm sure I'm going to do it. Never seen it before though.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2003
  5. godofuq

godofuq What's a Dremel?

Yea, I had never seen this done before but it just seemed right:D

6. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I really like that keyboard! I have been thinking about a cordless keyboard with integrated mouse for a HTPC, but I didn't think it existed! So now I know. Too bad I'll have to look for one with a Norwegian setup (with the letters æ, ø and å), which probably doesn't exist...

And a question: are all the buttons in front of the HTPC used for different functions? Like open media player, play, stop pause etc.?

7. godofuq

godofuq What's a Dremel?

It's interesting that you say that

The power button has already been rewired from the original PCB to turn this unit on. I'm hacking the Equalizer you see on the top left to be a rheobus for 3 fans that will be in the unit if I can't get my USB idea working. I've also bought another one of the keyboards that was shown to use the internal matrix for rewiring the rest of the buttons seen. Instead of writing code for it, I'm simply going to use the multimedia keys on the keyboard to run items. For instance, the CD button on the receiver has been connected to the CD player button on the keyboard matrix. When pressed from the actual receiver unit, it opens winamp and auto plays. I also have this set up for movies to start playing the last movie opened to work sort of like a DVD does. One is linked to a large display clock and it is actually a momentary switch so, when pressed, it will display the time, full screen, as long as the button is pressed. I will have one set up to press a button and it will open a directory of photos and automatically run a slideshow of them. Also, one has been set up to start a vizualization plugin in winamp when pressed.

8. 3vil-Grin

3vil-Grin What's a Dremel?

**Comes in with head held high...:D

I like the way it works with your entertainment center, it really blends in nicely.

I was thinking something similiar but more of a "what is that on top of your TV?!" Like a tinted plexi cube of some sort...well see.

9. godofuq

godofuq What's a Dremel?

Thanks. I wanted something to look exactly like it should fit in there as the CEO (wife) didn't want a computer up there in the first place and she REALLY doesn't like the fact that out of 1600 square feet, we only have two rooms (both bathrooms) that don't have an internet connection :D :clap:

10. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

But you have a wireless network too, right? :worried: :hehe:

11. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

Really nice setup you got there...

and bard.... All hail the wireless networks, Now I can sit in peace and browse/post on bit... I use a little lappy I call my "Craptop", I guess using it in the dunny (lu, WC, Bathroom, Can, Crapper, Potty, john, head, latrine, etc. etc. etc...) gives that name new meaning!
    :lol:

12. godofuq

godofuq What's a Dremel?

Most definately. Look at the first picture of my last picture post between the candle and picture at the top left. You'll see me siemens wireless USB adapter :)

13. godofuq

godofuq What's a Dremel?

Well, it's finished (for the time being). Got the VFD mounted nicely and everything seems good. This is the infamous 2X40 VFD that arkane has been selling and it fit perfect (after about an hour with the Dremel) in this case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Penguin4x4

Penguin4x4 What's a Dremel?

momma a mia thas a big VFD, :eeek: :eeek:

15. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Whoooooooooah nice huge VFD u got their :D All it needs now is a blue filter just to finish it off :)

16. miami6_2000@yahoo

miami6_2000@yahoo What's a Dremel?

nice set up

how much for the VFD
    where did you get it

what software are you running it with

looks great

17. godofuq

godofuq What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the comments. There's a user on the [H]ardforums that goes by the name of Arkane selling these. Search for 2X40 in the FS/T forum. These are only $28 shipped with the connection kit and it doesn't require anything else. I'm using it with VFD Thinger

18. 3vil-Grin

3vil-Grin What's a Dremel?

SWEET!!!
    Makes me want to try this type of mod even more now. And thanks for the great pics! It really looks good with the rest of your setup.

Please keep us posted
    :rock:

19. miami6_2000@yahoo

miami6_2000@yahoo What's a Dremel?