1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice What's worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mighty Yoshimi, 12 Apr 2014.

1. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

Hey all.

Currently got the following spec.

2500k ocd to 5ghz
    16gb ram
    Sli 680gtx
    3x 2t and 1 x 1tb hdd

Feel like something is due an upgrade just not sure what. Running p67 atm.

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

An SSD is an ideal upgrade if you haven't got one; they just make everything speedier. 6 second and less boot and shutdown speeds. Put just your OS on the SSD and all of your applications are loaded in microseconds.

A 120GB solid state drive can be had for as little as £50!

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'd agree with what Darkwisdom said, SSD.

Following that, maybe upgrading monitor / peripherals / audio.

4. Darkwisdom

Indeed, other than an SSD, your system is still pretty solid and any upgrades you make to cpu and gpu will only net you a few measly FPS.

Peripherals, audio and monitor are important too. Do you have a mechanical keyboard for example?

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

As others have said, an SSD is about the only thing worth adding - it'll make general day to day stuff a bit more responsive.

I'd look into getting a monitor with 1440p or 1600p if you don't have one already. Also, if you wear headphones, look into getting a nice set.

6. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

Thanks guys. Any recommendations for an ssd? Also is 3d any good? I am actually in the market for a new screen after my Fiancée dropped my old one D:

7. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

G0UDG likes this.
  8. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

3D is great for gaming when used in the correct context. IE - certain games do not translate into 3D very well at all such as FPS first person (IMO).

If you do it on the cheap though (Passive LG screen with the EDID override for 3dvision) then it's awesome. Dirt 3 and Left 4 Dead 2 (and 1 !) are simply incredible in 3D.

If you want any more advice about it do ask. I used it for over two years and loved every minute of it.

9. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'd say skip the 3d and get yourself a 1440p or 1600p monitor instead, maybe in the 27" range. You can't go wrong with Dell for higher end monitors.

10. Darkwisdom

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

3D is good, but to play it day in day out isn't. Plus it's very GPU demanding!

Games like Sleeping Dogs and Assassins Creed was awesome with the depth of field that 3D gave.

As everyone else has stated - Getting a 64GB or 128GB SSD for your OS is a must!

Other than that, you could upgrade your CPU and Mobo to Haswell if your budget isn't an issue. :)