1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi The World Of Tanks thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by octoberfest, 17 Feb 2010.

1. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I'm not talking about making the game look like Crysis I'm talking about making it work efficiently so framerates don't fall to 10fps in sniper mode even though the graphics are average at best.

I'm simply not seeing any of the improvements you see, the HD is meh, the shaders are not exactly a night and day difference to what was there before but the average framerate has dropped by 20fps at medium settings from what I previously got at max settings.

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Your mileage may vary I guess.

For me I've seen a small jump in average framerates from around 16 or so up to the low 20s on the lowest settings, which is all I can run. I still get slowdowns into the single digits at times, but I think that's more about my geriatric computer than the game itself.

As for the HD models, most of the time I'm just shooting at red silhouettes, so I really can't speak to that.

3. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately no I play US West :(. If you have videos I'd be interested though. My experience sidescraping has been like this:

With sufficient support so the enemy cannot just roll at you while you reload and fire into your side, sidescraping can be beastly. Nobody can pen you, you're ready to shoot ALL the time, and in a tank like the Tiger 2 that means hitting weakspots pretty much 90% of the time.

Alternatively, if you are alone but the enemy is incompetent, you are again a beast. If the enemy just keeps trying to pen your side, you get free shots at them. If the enemy just comes at you 1 by 1 with low hp tanks, you can easily one shot them.

Sidescraping fails when you are alone and the enemy is competent. You'll probably get 1 shot off at them, but if the enemy can survive that shot, they have your whole reload time to move up closer. At a certain point, the enemy will be so close that you need to break your sidescrape angle in order to hit them. Either you break the angle and expose yourself to being shot or you sit there and the enemy rolls right along side you forces you to reposition. In the Tiger 2 that means switching to wiggle mode as the second best survival tactic. If the enemy outnumbers you or you simply cannot pen the front of the enemy tank (think IS-7) your position gets compromised pretty quickly.

I crashed to desktop once so far. It was at the worst possible time. Me in my S35 CA playing for fun + 1 arty on my side against 1 TD (forgot which) and 1 arty on the other side. I had just gotten into position to counter a surprise enemy rush or rush the enemy base if nobody came within 45 seconds and my game crashed :(. I couldn't get back in. I was so sad... I could've gotten a top gun in that game too. The match ended in a draw so I think everyone got kicked from the game.

4. Risky

Risky Modder

Got 6 more wins for the Fire and Water mission so 34 left by the end of the month.

Handily next weekend's missions are for arty (and scouts to some extent).

To be honest I don't need 750 gold and I'm not pushed about premium, but it's goign to be annoying if I fiish the month 10 short so I feel obliged to go for it. (And I might as well grind the M12, T71 a bit).

5. obaidbd

obaidbd Minimodder

FV304 (British Tier 6) helped me to finish this mission early

Driving this SPG is way too much fun than any other SPG in the game right now.

In one game (tier 6-5) I had fight with last five enemy and won, sadly didn't won kolobanoz coz there was a hellcat in my team who was sitting in very corner of the map (possibly bot)

Last edited: 23 Apr 2014
  6. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

micropatch confirmed for Friday to fix the CTD issues
    will also affect mods

7. j.col

j.col Minimodder

Agree completely with this, i also have that damage recieved mod, and the amount of premium ammo flying about is getting silly.
    At first i noticed it was mainly the blue and purple players using it, (well they need to keep their stats up ;)) but now its even red players firing gold.
    Its not as if i am driving a huge heavy or something, i often have tier 10 heavys fring gold rounds at me in my tier 8 Indien Panzer ffs, like they need to. :sigh:

Regarding the MM, sometimes when i have a good game (not often :waah:) its good to get the added xp for damaging a tank thats 2 tiers above you, but most of the time you are just cannon fodder.

I have not been playing much since the new patch, i often get CTD's and also the game often freezes coming out of a game, i get 'Updating Tankers' and it just sits there like that until i restart the game :(

Oh and hi, its been a few months since i logged in here.

Iirc i was tooning one night with a member from here, cant remeber now lol, but aren't you in the same clan as me? ie. WJDE

8. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I haven't had any CTD problems on my end. Don't understand why people complain about people using gold shells when they are driving paper thin tanks and it doesn't make a difference what type of ammo they use.

I have learned to just live with it, but it does get annoying when I am driving my E75 and every shell goes through. But I am guilty of using gold shells as I have premium tanks to pay for the shells. I don't use gold shells on everyone just when I know I am going to struggle to pen someone, or in a tight game and don't want any BS RNG. All my tanks have a few gold shells, none of them are fully stocked with gold.

9. obaidbd

obaidbd Minimodder

I have experienced CTD problem couple of times now, and 'Updating Tankers' happens if I accept platoon invitation from other EU server

Can anyone tell/know since when gold/premium shells implemented in the game? Is it from very 1st release?

10. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

The reason why a lot of heavies shoot you with gold even if you have paper thin armor is that a lost of heavies have a long reload time. Even if they load AP as their next shot, if the gold round is already chambered they're going to fire it if they can hit you.

I use almost exclusively AP rounds. I carry about 5 rounds of gold in all my tanks but do not touch it. I also carry 5 rounds of HE in all my tanks. I like to use it against Rhm's and such since I can pen those things for max damage. It's very satisfying to see a 500 damage shot come from my Tiger 2 ^-^.

11. Risky

Risky Modder

I'm in WJDE (as VeryRisky) and obaidbd is in T-D-U.

12. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Not to mention half their crew and modules have just been destroyed.

About CTD issues my friends has had problems, so clearly a wide spread issue. Glad they are fixing it so soon.

13. j.col

j.col Minimodder

Maybe i didn't put my point across properly.
    What i was trying to say is that its such a waste to be firing gold against lower tier tanks when you dont need to.
    And its not just the odd shot, it seems that many players are using premium rounds exclusively on some of their tanks.
    Every tank i have has 10 gold rounds on them, but i save them for the really tough enemy like E-75's ;) or ST-1's etc... i wouldn't bother to waste credits firing them at a medium tank that is 2 tiers lower than me.
    Can u imagine what it must cost to fire 20 gold rounds and then lose a game? :jawdrop:

Hey Risky and obaidbd, nice to see some fellow dingers :thumb:

edit.
    "Can anyone tell/know since when gold/premium shells implemented in the game? Is it from very 1st release? "
    They were always in game as far as i remember, but buying gold rounds for credit only came in about 18months ago (i think)

14. SMIFFYDUDE

I normally carry 2 or 3 gold shells. Now and then I'll load it during countdown if I expect to face bigger tanks, but if a light appears first I'm just going to shoot it with whatever is loaded at that moment or else arty is going to start whinging.

15. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

yeah, i have a couple of gold shells for those hard to pen tanks...but in most tanks, if i get a shot at an enemy, ill take it ( even gold vs ELC ) as its easier to take the shot than wait to reload ( especially in something like an ISU152 it can suprise people as i load HE as my first shell ( to fight off enemy scout ) and when hit people will either take 300 damage and assume i DONT have a BL10 ( and dont get so nervous and often show to much of themselves ) or the shell DOES pen anyway and i cripple the enemy tank ^_^

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I've seen people using gold in T-1 Cunninghams (mostly in team battles) and as far down as tier 4. It gets pretty ridiculous at times.

I'm a strictly free-to-play player in WoT. The only gold I have is what I've earned on various missions and I only use it to demount expensive modules. I've heard people say that if you're not playing with premium ammo you're not a serious player, but I refuse to buy into that mindset, and I especially refuse to pay real money to play the game.

17. SMIFFYDUDE

You can buy gold ammo with just normal credits if you didn't already know. It costs a fortune though that's why I only carry a couple of rounds.

I also won't pay another penny to play this game, it's far too expensive for what you get. I'll let the Polish pay for me to play for free instead.:D

18. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Using gold to demount equipment and occasionally permapaint a tank you REALLY like can make a stash of like 750 gold last years. If you make good use of gold events, you can easily keep the stash full.

What you really want to spend money on are premium tanks. There's lots of reasons for this, I personally use them as cash cows and sample tanks. Some people like to use them as crew trainers. Whatever you're using them for, premium tanks give you the best return on your investment.

19. Risky

Risky Modder

Garage slots are the best use of gold. More tanks always good.

I don't think you need premium tanks to earn credits these days with all the missions on the go

20. obaidbd

obaidbd Minimodder

What is your in game name ?

Thanks!

I carry 5-10 rounds (depend on tanks) of gold ammo but most of the time i forget to switch it and end up with losing fight/game :sigh:

When a KV1S (or some other tier 6) can reliably pen IS3 (or other Tier 8s) with gold ammo , i feel this really unbalance !!