1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Upgrade graphics card MSI 570ti > MSI 770/760OC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crimpshrine, 11 May 2014.

1. crimpshrine

crimpshrine What's a Dremel?

Hi there, I am looking to upgrade my graphics card from the 570ti (overclocked) to either a MIS 770 or 760oc. I run at 2560x1440

I am guessing the 770 may be better suited. I am looking at the 2gb versions at the moment unless anyone recommends otherwise.

Thank you

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

At 2560 by 1440 as far as a single graphics card goes GTX 770 is capable of medium to high settings with the pretty turned on! The GTX 780 Ti is at the other end of the scale, I've only found Metro Last Light is capable of bringing it to its kness so far! if you can spare the cash certainly go with a 770 over the 760. Does it have to be an MSI? Otherwise I would have suggested the Palit GTX 770 that you can buy for under £220 including a code for the upcoming game Watchdogs. If you're not interested in that game and following favorable reviews it could sell for £20, maybe £15 if it's a lesser game!

3. crimpshrine

Thanks. I only chose MSI as that is what I have now and am used to the software. Would there be any advantage in the 4gig version, I am thinking by the time most games need it, it will be time to upgrade again anyway.

Would you think the card I am looking at offer a good jump in performance over what I currently have in place?

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

With more recent cards you have to look at the package as a whole. The 'special' 4GB cards are a marketing ploy to be honest and performance improvements would be marginal for most games. Certainly not worth the extra expense. For an example just compare the likes of a GTX Titan Black with 6GB and the GTX 780 Ti that has 3GB. Even with a modest boost to clocks on the GTX 780 Ti it'll beat the Titan including at 4K resolutions.

With your upgrade you'll see a 50% performance boost in the best case scenario at 2560 by 1440 so it'll make the world of difference.

5. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

I'm using an asus 280x on that resolution and its performance is close to the 770 and its pretty good but sometimes I think of the 290 but I got the 280x for a bargain so its all good

6. crimpshrine

Thanks very much. Sounds like it will be a good step up without upsetting the bank balence too much!

I was going to give Watchdogs a try anyway so it will save me £30-40 in a round about way :)

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

What version you going for?

Cheapest is the Palit...

http://www.dabs.com/products/best-v...-pci-e-3-0-hdmi-oc-90PN.html?q=gtx 770&src=16

The one review I read speaks well of it with a minor complaint of coil whine! If you have the facility as with any other purchase put it on a credit card. Should things go wrong it means the credit card company would be equally liable under Section 75. Protect your hard earned cash! :thumb:

8. crimpshrine

Thanks a lot. I will take a look at the Palit or might stick with the MSI. Will go for the 2gig 770 anyway as it seems sensible, I am sure by the time games need 4gig (if) then as it will be time to upgrade again. I think my last card lasted me 2 1/2 years which is better than what I expected it to so did well out of that.

Thanks for your help!