1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Why mechanical keyboards aren't for me

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 22 May 2014.

1. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Loved my Saitek Gamer keyboard and my Microsoft Ergo 4000, but the cherry reds in my CMStorm are divine and I find it's not too loud unless I am typing fast. Then it sounds like chatter teeth on speed, but I usually have headphones on when I am at the keyboard anyway.

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have some WYSE caps off an old terminal board - but they don't have the rest of the keyboard attached to them :D they off a mech though not a membrane board.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So, you literally know thousands of gamers who absolutely need a keyboard with an LCD?

:eyebrow:

Guinevere likes this.
  4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

The best thing to do with Star*Dagger's posts is just ignore them. Never forget that he's just an awful troll, and responding to his trolling is futile.

On the plus side, he tends to post infrequently :D

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I suspect he rarely reads the replies either, he just posts his trolls to make himself feel marginally more adequate before moving on for a month.

So yes, responding is futile. But I still enjoy it.

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

FTFY :thumb:

7. David

As above, I don't really care about him - I do enjoy occasionally highlighting the absurdity of his claims though. Shine a light on idiocy until it has nowhere else to hide.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

It's every post as well, do a search on his posts :hehe:

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I think you've all been decieved. The true Star*Dagger would have signed off with "Yours in G19 Plasma, Star*Dagger".

10. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Tried a mechanical keyboard, didn't quite care for it. Didn't really feel all that different from my $10 logitech k120.

So I stick with cheap keyboards.

11. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

But there are mechs with LCD screens!
    [​IMG]
    Even ones with LCD screen and a FLOPPY DRIVE!
    [​IMG]

ALSO more useless keys to use as macros you never use than G19. And those were made well before logitech ever thought about it!

To be more serious, mechs can be great but there are some people that they simply are not right for. Though some things I think are more complaints that should be far less considered than reliable and comfortable typing/gaming all day long.
    There are many keyboards to choose from, but if it hurts your hands in long sessions and does not react reliably it is a worthless input device.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If somebody supplies me with one of those, I guarantee I'll have the macro keys and the LCD up and running on a modern computer. What a project!

13. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Those DEKO ones speak PS/2 though I don't think the drivers/programming utility works on anything newer than XP.

14. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

i thought the whole point of tactile feedback (eg: MX browns) was so that you know when a key is activated and you don't need to bottom out. That's how i use my browns anyways and they're no louder than a membrane keyboard. wouldn't bottoming out despite the feedback defeat the purpose?

15. energizer15

energizer15 What's a Dremel?

Ugh... mechanical keyboards, the bane of my existence!

I am a software developer. I love my job, I really do. However, I can honestly say that, by far, the worst thing about working as a programmer is how prevalent mechanical keyboards are in the field. At every office I have worked at, at least one fellow developer in my cube farm has owned one. I've endured the IBM Model M, the Das Model S, and a host of others. These things drive me absolutely crazy. All of them have been obnoxiously loud.

The worst about the loud mechanical keyboards is the type sound they produce. It is high-pitched and utterly piercing. This makes it almost impossible to block out. Noise-canceling headphones are only effective against low-frequency sounds. Even construction-grade, 30-dB-attenuating earmuffs can only dampen (not stop) the sound.

Virtually the only way to drown out the sound is to listen to music. That's usually fine, as I'm usually jamming away to music anyway. But sometimes, you just need peace and quiet to think and concentrate. The loud mechanical keyboards make this literally impossible. For the love of god, if you're going to use a mechanical keyboard in a shared office, get a "silent" one (like the Matias Quiet Pro).

Countless times online I've seen people ask, "is [mechnical keyboard X / a mechnical keyboard with {some color} switches] too loud for a shared office?" The reply 99.99999% is one of two things: a) a tongue-in-cheek, "LOL, WHO CARES IF ITS LOUD, THEY'LL BE IMPRESSED AT HOW FAST YOU CAN TYPE", or, b) "well, just try it, and if anyone complains, stop."

The thing is though, if you need to ask that question in the first place, it's ambiguous enough that you should err on the side of common courtesy. Some people are shy and won't feel comfortable asking you to use something else; some people will be annoyed by it but will just endure it. I personally have no problem bringing up an issue like this, but don't assume that everyone has the courage to do so. There internet is filled with an infinite number of ancedotes of wives literally forcing their husband to get rid of their mechnical keyboard because of how loud it is. The verdict is in: don't use these things if you're going to be around people. "I use one at work and on one has complained" is a far cry from "I use one at work and it doesn't bother anyone."

Mechanical keyboards are awesome. Every person I've met that has owned one has absolutely raved about it. But they do not belong in public environments. They are antisocially loud and outrageously disruptive. For some, the sound does not bother them. For those that are irked by the sound, it pure hell!

</newbie diatribe>

16. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Seen rocking the same Saiktek Eclipse 2 as the author for many years now and it's working as good as the day i got it. Easy to clean, full size keys without being massive body, good backlighting and useful media keys without overcomplicating things.

When it does die i'll be getting myself another membrane keyboard with red backlighting, mechanical keyboards are too loud for my taste and too expensive.

17. David

The MX Clears on my G80 are no louder than the Cherry MY board upstairs, the Saitek Eclipse II on the Kids' PC or the generic rubber domes my workmates use in the office.

Granted, I found clicky MX Blues distracting and the ease with which I bottom out MX Reds can make a little noise, but flat out claiming that all mech boards are loud is complete and utter bobbins.

18. atlas

atlas What's a Dremel?

I see one or two people have mentioned it but I definitely need to bring it up again. Get a Topre board! You might even name a child after me for this advice. Like you I spend a ludicrous amount of time in front of computers and I like to have a good set of tools, I also went through a few mechanical boards Filco (browns & blacks) had no interest in blues or anything loud. I do also prefer heavier switches so Reds were not an option. Despite Filcos being absolutely great quality boards the switches just didn't do it for me and I decided to take the leap into Topre. I now have hhkb type-s at work and a Realforce 55g 87u at home. If you looking for a more std larger board, I would highly recommend a Realforce board and if you do enjoy slightly heavier switches the 55g is the one to go for without question. Topre is quiet and absolutely amazing to type on.

Last edited: 27 May 2014
  19. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Totally agree with this statement. I had a saitek ii and it was just a loud as my k70. In saying that my old g15 i think was even louder

20. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I had this exact problem myself lately. I was on my 3rd Eclipse with worn out WASD keys and needed an upgrade. I got a good deal on a Steelseries 6Gv2 and took the chance.
    It took some getting used too but I enjoy the solid feel and the minimal force I need to get response out of the keys.
    However, I don't have to type as much as you and I think it would annoy me if I did.

Tags: Add Tags