1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics PSU Help for a noob

Discussion in 'Modding' started by NoRmZiDiUs_669, 30 May 2014.

1. NoRmZiDiUs_669

NoRmZiDiUs_669 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys

Still new to the forum but been lurking for a while and been greatly inspired to start modding and building.

My problem ATM is my cable management, as i have a non modular PSU with a bunch of cables i dont use and another bunch that are too short to reach where they need to be, so onto my question :)

is there a way to cut the wires i dont use and seal them off so they dont bug me, and is it ok if i make the cables longer in a PSU like this, i dont want anything to explode?

Also just to clarify, i have an old aerocool case, there is no space behind the mobo tray to help with neatening cables, so every wire is always visible:wallbash:

2. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

With the cables that are too short, i'd suggest extensions.. That way you cant have dodgy soldering causing problems. And with the ones that aren't used, you could take off the connectors and then cut them really short.. That way, they're out of the way, but also could be used again with an extension.
    As for removing them completely, I have no idea! Although i'd be interested if you can..

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

If you know what you are doing you can usually desolder the unwanted connectors straight off the circuit board, but don't blame me if you suffer an enormous electric shock.

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

RE: Shortening cables:

I think if you're having to ask if such a thing is possible you should avoid attempting it. Better just extend the cables you need and tape up the ones you don't.

Don't go hacking around in electrical areas you're not confident working in.

5. Apsurdistan

Apsurdistan What's a Dremel?

If you don't know how to,then you shouldn't even do it...you can unsolder wires from circuit board easily,but better way is to cut wires and insulate 'em...

6. NoRmZiDiUs_669

NoRmZiDiUs_669 What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys. I decided not to try soldering or desoldering anything, ive heard that psus can give you quite a bad hair day, so I'll hold off on trying that for now, i just taped them off and hid them as best i could. thanks for the help, most helpful forum ive found in a long time

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Good call. Save up for a Silverstone Strider and short cable kit instead :)