Windows Quake, Unreal and a monkey

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by ChillingSP, 25 Jun 2003.

1. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

yeah theres a new patch out now 2.6a try getting that i think they've sorted out the problem i've stopped as my gaming rig isn't working will give it a go when its back.

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Yeah urban terror is 2.6a at the moment I still think the detection is a bit pooh at long range without a scope, I fired 1 mag and a bit into someone and hit him 2 times. The upcoming beta3 looks so sweet.

3. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

</lumberg>
    hmmm yeeeaaaahhhh. Im gonna have to go ahead and.... Disagree with you there. yeeeeaaahhhh..
    </lumberg off>

I think that unreal is a great game. I think you have a mild point however. You see I believe that the tournament games are kinda pointless and boring. But i think that Tac Ops and is a great addition to Unreal and that game requires skill. I thinks its cool that Unreal Is mainly concentrating on the graphics and the game engings so other games can use it and become better by using it.

I will agree to some point on that a ape..not a monkey. Apes are actually the Chimpanzee's Gorilla's,and Oragatang. Could prolly play the tournament/arena games. But the quake engine was used in a great game that is Jedi Knight II So if It takes a few boring no skill games to do that more power to them:thumb:

I do however prefer a good storyline like a rpg or such but i must say that must fps are not that bad;)

4. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

I played the first Urban Terror public beta... Didn't touch it afterwords. Not that it wasn't good, I was just too lazy to download new versions =).

And errr... Tac Ops is Counter-Strike, deal with it =).

5. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

yeah but atleast in Tac ops you get a little triangle above the head of your teammates.

O and got any links to urban 3 :D

6. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

I think I stopped playing at beta 2.0, so I don't remember a triangle. But last time I checked, your friends don't wear wire triangle things above their head :D .

I love Strike-Force (the mod, the community and dev team can go to hell). That's a very realistic mod.

7. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

erm try the offical site for details about whats going into 3.0

8. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

The multiplayer is even worse, so you just have to be skilled with your weapon and the AUGs. But for being based on the unreal engine, DX is amazing, with all of the interactivity, compared to UT. But I wish I could forget the story so I could play it again for the first time.

9. row

row What's a Dremel?

personally i'm pretty much comfortable in my "shallowness" so shooting stuff mindlessly doesn't bother me in the least. being born and raised in calif, the monkeys that you refer to are at least as intelligent as most humans in this state, so being put on the same playing field as one is sort of a compliment! thanks:D

row:)

10. MikeTitan

err again I wish to state that. Im Q3A and UT that its tournament and Arena. Basically they were made to be shoot em ups and nothing else. Honestly don't go looking for eggs from a rooster. True is chicken but it ain't no hen.:hehe: If you want story line get Doom 3 or Unreal 2. :nono:

11. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Anyone here ever played Red Faction? The single-player mode, while not too daunting to anyone but the most mentally retarded ape, is still quite challenging. Better than most games anyway :)

12. micb

micb Minimodder

Yes I played Red Faction I thourght it was quite fun, plenty of variaty good, a story line is very important if a game is to go from normal to good.

13. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

I can't believe Splinter Cell was the only clancy game mentioned so far. What about the Rainbow Six series and Ghost Recon?? A few levels are just shoot-em-up but then there are others that you really have to sneak around (in fact some R6 missions required not firing a shot) to move on.
    As for multiplayer, Ghost Recon is way slow, for it to be truly challenging you have to have 10+ people with some sense of formation. Rainbow Six on the other hand is quick and stimulating. The best games are when both players try to flank each other and run into each other unexpected :hehe:
    /r6 pimpage

14. MikeTitan

Yes how could i forget Clancy games are my favorite. I mean Nothing like co-op on ghost recon tho i dare say it is a litte too easy.. Specially when me and my 3 friends are like really good gamers and we have it on the highest setting.. But it is still good!:thumb:

15. reGen

reGen Minimodder

the first bit, its pretty obvious that people are gonna get annoyed when you teamkill, and you mention that the triangle comes up above the head? is it not enough that they have completely different models?

The thing with CS is that there is an obscenely large number of people that 'dis' it as they never got passed the initial 'n00b' stage. It does have a steep learning curve at the beginning, such as controlling the recoil and using short bursts that a lot of games such as UT just dont require. They are too quick to get killed by someone who has obviously been playing longer than them and give up saying its crap.
    Also, the community does have a LOT of bitchy players, as well as 12 year old 'l33t0x' who tend to cheat, or accuse of cheating. It has to be the most cheated in game that ive ever known, but being a CS server company admin, i see how quickly new cheats are detected by cheat detection software, which is a good thing.

i personally prefer FPS games to RPG games as i find RPG extremely boring, and not as rewarding. Also you mention 'mindless'. this is good and clearly visible in games like q3 and UT where you dont HAVE to use tactics or think to be able to have fun, but as other people have said tactics do play a large roll in FPS games. I can only speak from experience about CS, where my clan uses Teamspeak to talk with each other during games, and we actually use it pretty much 24/7 whilst we are awake (since I introduced teamspeak to my clan, a lot of them have stopped using IRC completely, we constantly seem to talk about tactics just whilst browsing normal sites etc.)

if we did not have tactics at all, then we would not win nearly as many games as we do atm. We are not a fantastic clan, but we are above average and improving every day as we have only been formed about a month. The clan side of the game is very very good fun.

16. ST8

ST8 What's a Dremel?

I think you'll find more tactics are used in q3 than you imagine. I dont play vanilla q3 myself, but i know people who do. I think you'll find any decentish clan will be on teamspeak for q3 games, and a fair bit of work goes into working as a team and defending/taking weapons etc. Its just a different type of tactics you see to cs...

17. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Exactly my point.

18. reGen

reGen Minimodder

yea I know there are tactics involved, im just saying that there doesnt have to be :) i couldnt comment on q3 tactics as ive never played the game properly (ie organised)

19. MikeTitan

You have to learn in CS? bwahahahahahahahaha .....

/me wipes away tear:hehe: :hehe:

Seriously CS is not a hard game to learn. Neither is tac ops of Ghost recon. If you shoot a gun the first time you should automatically know how to adjust your shot for it. I mean when me and Ivan play CS at lans we pwn just about everyone. Im more of a TO person but I do like the Steyr Aug and the buy system better on CS. For me not being a noob is easy but being always in the top 3 takes a lil practice.

Tags: