1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding A slew of n00b questions.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bionic_Tuna, 27 Jan 2002.

1. Bionic_Tuna

Bionic_Tuna What's a Dremel?

Well, I am new to case modding and would really like to get into it. I have a plan of what I want to achieve. I got some questions on what I need to do.

1. What is the best type of case to cut?
    2. What is the best tool for cutting?
    3. What materials are best for the window?
    4. Blow holes, where are the best spots for them?
    5. Are there any newbie guides?
    6. What is needed to paint a case?

That's about it, any replies would be wonderful. Thanks.

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

Welcome to the forums! :D

1. What is the best type of case to cut?

For a first project I would go with steel, as its not as expensive if you make a mess! Also I recommend getting a cheap case that you can practice on, you can pick them up for about £20

2. What is the best tool for cutting?

For most jobs, its gotta be a dremel with reinforced cutting disks, but for big areas such as a window, a jigsaw with good quality blades will be a much faster job, and about as neat.

3. What materials are best for the window?

You can pick up window kits from most good overclocking/ case modding stores, such as www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk and www.tekheads.co.uk

4. Blow holes, where are the best spots for them?

Over your PCI cards, sucking air in, and then on the roof of the case, blowing air out like a chimney

5. Are there any newbie guides?

There are plenty of guides on the main bit-tech site, also try other moddin sites such as www.virtual-hideout.net and www.moddin.net

6. What is needed to paint a case?

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/30/ everything you require is in there :D

Hope this helps you ;)

BiGGiE

3. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

oo u are such a helpful young man biggie :D

4. linear

linear Minimodder

W00t Biggie 0wns j00

Nice reply, man.

BT: just take your time, read plenty of stuff and enjoy the ride, amigo. Cruise through the case gallery on the main site for some inspiration.

5. sTevE

sTevE What's a Dremel?

1. the first case i cut was a steel one, its the case i also built my first computer in. id suggest you practice on the case you have right now (if it is steel and not plastic like a dell) and if your fine on that get an aluminum case. They are a lot easier to cut. I own an pc-60 and love it. but if for some reason you dont want to cut up your old case just go with biggie's idea on buying a cheapo steel one.

3. Since you live in the US you prob dont want to pay shipping for over the seas companies. I get all my window supplies from www.pcmods.com (slightly overpriced, but great quality) www.caseetc.com (good prices but low invetory)

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

Cheers, I do come up with some useful stuff sometimes :D ;)

I do recommend the cheapo case, I was looking last night, as I have another project in the pipeline... not one of the modding kind, its a case of building the fastest PC possible for under £300, not including anything like monitors, printers, etc, just the box of tricks... but it must include a CD writer.... so far Ive got to a Duron 950 with 128Mb ram on an Asus board, but that is at £330 :(

Btw going back to the cheapo case, ebuyer.com do cases for £15 including a 300W PSU, ideal for hacking up, and you get a free PSU for your troubles :D I suggest you get one anyway, as its good to practice ideas on, or even just brush up on your dremel skillz :cool: