1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Consumer Advice Needed - Faulty graphics card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nubble, 20 Jun 2014.

1. JTG06

JTG06 What's a Dremel?

Hi Nubble

Any chance you could PM me the company name? I'm about to make some large purchases and would rather do it with my eyes wide open :)

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Camera is a must

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Totally agree with you as it would help the rest of us.

4. Nubble

Nubble What's a Dremel?

Well, as some of you have probably guessed - its Scan.

5. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

small square logo dont take a lot to work out :D

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I stopped using Scan for most of my PC needs as I also had an issue with an RMA. Hope you have better luck.

7. Nubble

Nubble What's a Dremel?

Just as an update, I've now sent over an email with the edited template that is in the other thread.

So to recap, I've spoken on live chat, spoken on the phone, emailed them sale of goods act details and also opened a paypal dispute.

8. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

WHAT, have to say I am surprised to hear that, apart from talking to a rather grumpy scan person on the phone they have never used such tactics when I've had to deal with problems and they seem to have been making an effort to sort things out for people here on the forum :confused:

9. JTG06

JTG06 What's a Dremel?

I was surprised too, though the square logo did give it away.

My experience from Scan with RMAs has been fine but then I've only ever had one stick of ram from them that was DOA - it was cheap so no quibbles.

I hope they do the right thing for you Nubble and sort it out pronto.

10. mark@scan

mark@scan Product Manager

Just wanted to chime in on the thread and offer our apologies to the OP who we have already contacted directly.

A new member of our testing team had incorrectly rejected the card stating the serial number was not present, this was found not to be the case on further checking by a senior staff member. The card has since been tested and the reported fault has been confirmed and a refund processed. This has been done within 24 working hours of the card incorrectly being rejected.

May I add that MSI DO reject item's based on a products serial number being removed or no longer discernible, I should add that this policy in not unique to just MSI but use this example as it was an MSI item in this instance however we will always try and assist in returning to our suppliers on our customer's behalf to secure either repair or replacements under warranty in the event that the serial number is not fully intact or missing completely.

Please see for example:

https://uk.msi.com/page/warranty

Warranty Exclusions

The following circumstances excluded from warranty coverage

Defacing of product labeling (label alterations and falsifying, serial number missing, serial number no longer discernible, serial number invalid). All serial numbers are recorded and tracked for warranty purposes

I must say that some of the suggestions on this thread that we have re-sold a used card and removed the sticker then tried to re-sell it are a little wide of the mark.

We will always hold our hands up when a mistake has been made as in this instance and we of course apologise to the OP for any inconvenience caused.

Ironically investments we are making in the form of new hires to improve our RMA processes led to a mistake in this instance :(

Last edited: 23 Jun 2014
    JTG06 likes this.
  11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Good news indeed. Thanks for the update Mark.

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Ditto. We base our buying decisions not on just how we are treated, but how the community at large is treated. Been keeping an eye on this.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Thanks for the update. These things happen, taking it on the chin is all part of the process - I have to do it regularly at work. I think more of Scan (as I would any retailer) when they reach out and tell us their side of these things.

Glad it's well on the way to being resolved :thumb:

14. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I am glad to Hear Mark sorted this one out.

Generally I think Scan would benefit from better training for who ever they have working on front line RMA, there seems to be the idea of late that if you do not buy install protection premium they do not have to follow the DSA.

From working on support my self I know how ""tempting" it can be to make such generalizations and this is why training is so important.

There are a fair number of consumers who associate brand loyalty with how a company handles returns and such unfortunate situations. I know I do and where I work this is a major training point.

15. Nubble

Nubble What's a Dremel?

Just to confirm, Mark has been in contact with me and as such hopefully the refund will be with me in due course.

It has been a massive hassle for me as I stood to lose out on the £210 I paid for the card - for something I knew wasn't my fault.

Dependent on how much I eventually do get refunded, I still stand to have lost out on alot of time and also the Saturday postage I paid for with this item...but I guess I should just be blessed that I got there in the end.

Would it stop me from purchasing from scan in the future? I doubt it...I intend to buy another 280x from them when the refund comes through - but I'm going to be alot more careful in the future and will probably video me opening the package just to be on the safe side.

Three morals of the story I guess.

1. Document opening of high ticket items.
    2. Don't just accept your fate.
    3. Be hopeful of adequate outcome.

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

When you bought the graphics card the old Distance Selling Regulations were still in effect. As the card had a fault that you reported soon after delivery I would expect postage to be reimbursed in full.

Uncomfortable that the warranty is constantly flagged as if it's something the customer is required to care about. I've always maintained it is a nice extra but when it comes down to a faulty item the first port of call is legally the retailer where it was bought. There's simply no legal framework to pursue the manufacturer from a customers perspective if it wasn't bought directly.

17. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I think this whole sticker warranty thing should be scrapped as they fall off all the time.

The one on my 670 is hanging off through no fault of mine.

Seems like a get of jail free card for gpu manfacturers.

They are never stuck on in a sensible place like a nice flat surace on the card, always over a solder joint or surace mount component so they as little surface to adhere to as possible.

If a company ever treid to pull that crap on me I'd be asking them fro proof that the sticker was ever there in the 1st place.