1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding how can i correct my spray paint mistakes?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by PrnkstrO, 14 Jul 2003.

1. PrnkstrO

PrnkstrO What's a Dremel?

I have been painting something for my girlfriend for the past few days but it keeps driving me nuts! Anyway what is happening is the spray paint can I am using keeps spitting out big drips of paint every so often and its killing my perfect finish. I have been sanding them down with some very find grit sand paper but it leaves the paint a dull color instead of glossy, which is what I want. Is there any kind of wax or something that I could rub on to shine the paint up a bit after I have sanded it instead of just letting the big paint drips pass?

2. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

get some fine grade sandpaper and carefully sand down the errors and then gradually build up the new layers of paint try that wen i made paintin mistakes that what i had to do
    :D

Last edited: 14 Jul 2003
  3. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

yep. pranks7er is right.

and as for thegloosy look.... put a clear and wax after the paint ;)

4. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

Actually, Get some rubbing compound, or swirl remover, That'll shine it up nice if your last grit sandpaper was like 2000 or more, use the rubbing compound ( and a lot of "elbow grease") to rub out the dull finish, it will gloss it nice, then use good quality car wax on top of that...

EDIT: you're really close to Linear, Take it to his house... lol... JK, Leave the poor farmer alone.

5. PrnkstrO

Sanding down the blemishes and starting over is what I have tried to do now for 3 or 4 coats of paint. The paint just keeps splattering at some point or the other. It usually does it at the end of the coat of paint when I start to think, "oh crap I finally did it right".

I think that the rubbing compound trick is what ill do. I once saw a guy paint a ps2 on the Hard forums and he used some kind of 3m rubbing compound. What kind of rubbing compound do you suggest I use Pflumingo?

6. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

the 3M's what I used, I got it at Autozone I think, or Advance Auto, or Pep-boys, I think... Make sure your paint has cured tho, it can actually screw up your finish if it's still tacky...

7. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

what you should try doin is then try cleaning the spray nozzle and before you put the cap on after use spray a small blast of paint onto something just to clear the nozzle:D

8. PrnkstrO

The nozzle was clean. That was the first thing I checked. I wish I had a compressor so I could use my airbrush for this kind of stuff.

9. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

why not get a can of compressed air? that's what I use since I don't use my airbrush often...

10. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

shake the cans well

11. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

can you not mask the area you don't want painted?

12. Devil_H@ck

Devil_H@ck What's a Dremel?

Really, dull area's after sanding down stuff aren't bad. I had quite a lot of them after wetsanding when I painted my mouse a few days ago, but I just sprayed the clear coat on it. The mouse looks great and you can't see any dull spot, everything is nice and shiny. I used 1200 grit sandpaper, it was the finest I could find. So, you really shouldn't be so worried. Just try to spray clear coat on it ;).

13. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

if your spray cans are splattering, you need to shake em up more ... and continue to shake em between sprays ...

I had trouble with the plastikote auto spray cause it has the little latex bubble on the nozzle, i had to turn the can upside down and clear the nozzle several time during spraying.

another thing, dont get too close to your work ..

14. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

yeaas tk421 dont stand too close to thing u r sprayin also hang the eg panel up on a wall and spray it like that

15. PrnkstrO

I once heard that the paint flows better if you stick the can of paint in a bucket of warm water and wait a while before you paint. Ive never tried this, but has anyone else?

16. Telkman

Telkman What's a Dremel?

Its not something I've done with the paint, but I allways do so with the primer, as its thicker stuff and helps it make a nicer coat.