1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Android Headset/In-Ear recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ferret141, 11 Aug 2014.

1. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I have damaged two Samsung headsets whilst listening to music and podcasts on my GS2. Audio only in one ear and mic is dead. Whilst jiggling the cable it seems like the break is near the jack which makes me believe it happened due to material fatigue with my body/pocket/leg as I walk.

Not sure what type of audio output device I want. Do I get a really good headset or some IEMs and a bog standard headset for calls. Plus I worry the same could happen again so do I move my regular listening to a Clip Zip away from my leg.

Any recommendations on what to do or to buy?

I apologise if the above doesn't make sense. Not feeling the best but I knew I would forget again if I didn't post when I remembered.

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Have you thought about bluetooth earphones?

3. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

I've had similar problems, so I started going through a good chunk of IEMs. I've been through 3(?) sennheisers, 1x Astrotec AM-90, 3x Head Direct Re0, 1x Steelseries Flux.

Currently on a Phillips Fidelio S1, which is good. Bought it in March, still working, so cannot tell you how long this one will last yet. Seems quite solid so far though and I can recommend it on the sound.

Part of the problem seems to be that IEMs simply don't have high life expectancy. They can either lose the connection at the plug or in one of the earpieces. If you know how to solder and resleeve, it might be great to fix your own, but otherwise, it's just another lottery.

Edit: Next on my list is the Shure series like the SE215. They have replacable cables and that might work. But they don't have a mic, AFAIK.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2014
  4. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

If you like your old headphones enough to keep them and don't mind a bit of modding you could try these replacement cables http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/
    I hear they are quite robust.

Personally I don't use IEMs. I have a philips cityscape downtown headset and as far as budget headsets go these are pretty good imo.

5. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Two I'm currently looking at are the Sony XBA-C10IP and the Beyerdynamic MMX 102 iE

I've had an idea of getting/making a 20cm extender to act as a sacrificial piece in my pocket.

I have but I'm sensitive to it and get burning ears. Plus it'll be one more thing in my life to charge.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2014