1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ** New products from Zalman

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cheese, 5 Jul 2003.

1. GT3_GOD

GT3_GOD What's a Dremel?

Surely copper is the worst possible thing to use for a passive solution seeing as copper has a great inability to remove heat quick. It will absorb heat quicker than aluminium but without a fan to remove this heat, this would make for a very poor design.

2. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

Can't wait to see ho these perform and the reviews start rolling out. Just whish I'd seen them earlier :(

Me looks a "Slik Silver" blue water theme :waah:

3. relix

relix Minimodder

I read somewhere that that is just a fairytale.

And I too wonder how that HD Cooler is going to perform...:eyebrow:

4. Cheese

Cheese Doc

I'm pretty sure it is, the important physical properties are thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity - and copper beats aluminium on both IIRC. Sure it holds more heat than an equ. amount of aluminium but that's the whole point... arguments for aluminium over copper probably came from aluminium heatsink manufacturers if you ask me ;)

As for the heatpipes, yeah they might be useless as heatpipes (and just add thermal mass), we'll see ;)

Rob.

5. GT3_GOD

GT3_GOD What's a Dremel?

I'm going from experience :)

I can passivly cool my XP1700 at 1.2V using a crappy old aluminium Taisol 760 yet with a SLK900 it overheats after about an hour of hard use.

Of course when fan assisted the SLK900 beats it hands down.

6. Cheese

Cheese Doc

That may be so but you're not comparing like for like... the slk is designed to be a high airflow cooler, its thin fins heat up quickly and are ineffective when passively cooled.

A better comparison are the mixed aluminium/copper zalman coolers to their all copper siblings, and I've never seen any low airflow favouritism to the aluminium based cooler here.

Rob.

7. GT3_GOD

GT3_GOD What's a Dremel?

But we are talking no airflow at all. I even think with a 7V 12db papst or somthing similar the SLK would beat the taisol temps wise. With 0% airflow the copper just keeps heating up and doest get any cooler.

I think I am going to research into this further actually :)

8. funkychicken9000

funkychicken9000 What's a Dremel?

gah. i hate taisol 760's, my SLK800 is far better in all respects.

Chopped up taisol does make great chipset heatsinks for 8RGAs though (see mine here and here, i guarantee you it'll beat any zalman chipset heatsink)... so why don't zalman make copper based alu heatsinks if what you say is true?

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Im with GT3_GOD on this, an all copper design wouldnt really work imo. From experience copper coolers need a fan to enduce (if that's the word) heat to come off, instead it will collect more if passive. However, logically it should work better yes, but experience tells me otherwise :blah:

If they made a copper cored version (the long fins being copper and the shorter ones alu? Or mebbe go for an uber mini-flower heatsink for the northbridge? That would look cool. :blush:

10. funkychicken9000

funkychicken9000 What's a Dremel?

if copper is so crap at losing heat, how come the copper flower costs more and is more effective that the AlCu flower, even when the zalman fan bracket isnt used?

11. relix

relix Minimodder

touché :D

12. GT3_GOD

GT3_GOD What's a Dremel?

I'm willing to bet there was an exhaust fan or something in the equation somewhere. Flowers get hot enough with a fan let alone without one.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Cause its used with a fan and copper costs more in general then alu. Im only talking about passive solutions mind in my post.

Relix - it isnt anything touche, cause he obviously couldnt be arsed to read my post properly.

14. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Just heard another good piece of news from Zalman, they've found a way of allowing their 7000 series HSF's to be mounted to Socket A motherboards... :rock: So they'll start shipping with new clips soon.

Rob.

15. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I disagree with the arguments about copper heatsinks. Using a fan simply moves cooler air inbetween the fins of the sink. This cooler air then absorbs heat away from the fins quicker than still air because the temperature difference between the heatsink and the air is greater. I'm sure everyone knows this already.

Now, if there's no fan, then there will be some convection happening which will create some minimal airflow through the heatsink. As mentioned, the SLK series are designed for high-output fans. I think the main reason is that the fins are so incredible close together than convection just doesn't happen as easily as in a simpler heatsink such as the Taisol.

If someone can test very similarly designed heatsinks made from alu and copper and prove me wrong then I'll admit there's something there, but until then I think it's just a rumour that got started somewhere. We only heard about this whole thing a few months after copper heatsinks were being released, so surely someone would have found out sooner had it been true?

Anyway, that was totally off-topic. I think the new Zalman kit looks great, and they don't seem to be going the same way as ThermalTake at all contrary to many people's opinions. I've always thought that Zalman products are great quality having used a few of them, but I suppose we'll just have to wait for the reviews.

:thumb:

16. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

Looks like a great bunch of stuff, impressive! Nice one Zalman :rock:

17. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

The only problem with this superb water block is that a lot of Motherboard makers are not including the holes around the socket A cpu, Other than that and the fact that I have a Gemini Cool socket A water block already, It's superb water block with plenty of great hose fittings included. But of course the Gemini is still not installed yet, As I'm in the process of acquiring the needed cash for the parts that I still happen to need to buy. :D Otherwise It does indeed :rock: :D

[​IMG]

18. NoObY-DoObY

NoObY-DoObY Hanging on by a thread...

would in fit in the case??? the vga cooler

19. twest17

twest17 What's a Dremel?

no you have to mount the video card externally

Tags: Add Tags