1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Raspberry Pi wooden media center case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by radziecki, 12 Sep 2014.

1. radziecki

radziecki What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Been a lurker for a long time, but this is my first project log ever, so be gentle :)
    After using an ugly (yet functional) acrylic mini case for my Raspberry Pi, I decided I needed something that would look a bit less nasty under my tv :)

The approach:
    - It has to be cheap - as it's my first project I had to be sure I won't spend a bucket of money and then abandon it ;)
    - The case has to look like sort of AV component,
    - It has to have an alphanumeric LCD or VFD display, HD44780 compatible,
    - Only tools I have in the small workshop are to be used, no extra expensive equipment.

The idea: wood + aluminum front. I decided to go with a simple box shape, no extravaganza. Here's rough render on how it's supposed to look like. It's missing a few bit's and pieces, plus the textures ain't perfect, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

Box material: 8mm plywood, bought as scraps from a local hardware market
    Front: 3mm aluminum panel. Bought 2 of these at an auction site for 1,5€ each.
    LCD display + wires: auction site, just 2,5€. I needed an extra potentiometer for contrast so I got that from local electronics store.
    Power LED: I have few of those lying around.

TBC...

Last edited: 12 Sep 2014
  2. radziecki

radziecki What's a Dremel?

I started with the LCD display. AndyPi has a great tutorial on how to assemble and connect the whole set. Half an hour and a few burnt fingers (did I mention that last time I soldered 15 years ago?) later the whole set is created.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]