1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Preference

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nimbu, 17 Jul 2003.

1. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I know this has been asked a million times, but wot do U think is better

WD or Maxtor.

Looking for an all round opinoin, ie speed, reliabilty, and noise.

Talking bout drives of capacitys bigger then 160GB

TIA

Nims

2. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I've had good experiences with both, but I'd have to say WD wins out for me. They have always been quiter than my Maxtors, and more reliable in the end.

I'd wait for a few other opinions though, because sometimes you get a really bad HDD and sometimes you get a really good one, maybe I just have gotten the really good ones :p

3. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

IMHO WD wins. A friend had loads of problems with Maxtor a while back, plus they can be noisey buggers.
    However, IBM at the best - I have IBM drives everywhere and I use them for client machines - never had any problems. Come to think of it I've never even heard of any problems...
    The price is good too!

4. ChillingSP

ChillingSP What's a Dremel?

I used to buy ibm harddisks too but in last two years their quality has dropped very much.
    My advice is to avoid them.

5. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

The only HD problem I ever had was from a IGM 60GXP, which slowly but surely broke down until it was virtually unreadable. Maxtor and WD have worked for me just fine through quite a few drives in quite a few systems.

6. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I personaly use Maxtor drives, and love them.

I have had a bad experience with WD, and I don't intend to purchace another drive from them, barring something supernatural/extremely good. I don't want to go into it now, but let's just say I got royaly shafted and annoyed :miffed:

Never had a single problem with my Maxtor drives, and they are always my first choice when purchacing a HDD...

My 2x 160gb Maxtors rule (at this point in time)! :rock: :rock:

7. SerpentBlade

SerpentBlade What's a Dremel?

I have 6 WD drives, ranging from 30gig to 120gig 8mb cache.... none of them have failed me. And run really quiet.

I have 1 maxtor, and haven't had problems with it, except noise. Its all relative though, fans have since drowned it out.

I've probably said too much: WD wins in my book.

8. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

I have had both Maxtor and WD drives and all have served me well, though now I only have a pair of Maxtor +9 S-ATAs.....

For noise, the latest Maxtors (+9s) are quieter than the WD SEs.

Performance is a tough one, the Maxtor +9s in S-ATA form are apparently slightly faster than the Western Digital WD-SE series of drives, though WD now have the WD-SE drives on a S-ATA interface too, but I haven't seen any reviews of these yet to see whether they are any faster than the IDE version and the Maxtor Plus 9 drives.

Reliability, WD wins that one, and the SE drives with 8MB cache have a 3 year warranty compared to the 1 year on most new Maxtor drives, which is worth bearing in mind just for peace of mind in that even if it breaks you won't *need* to shell out for a new drive for 3 years.

Tough choice really, if I was buying an IDE drive I'd get a Western Digital JB-SE, if I was going S-ATA I'd take the Maxtors (in fact I did). Of course, as I said earlier, there are S-ATA versions of the Western Digital JB-SE series coming into retail channels now, so maybe wait for a review before you decide?

:)

9. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

No one has mentioned Seagate yet - I know that the thread is about WD and Maxtor - but Seagate should be included if this an open decision...

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Maxtor definately - 10x quieter, and the advanced RMA service is SUPERB. RAID0 a couple of DM9+'s is meant to be pretty damn special too.

Saying that, i own 3 seagates and only 1 maxtor cause i like my silence :)

11. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Maxtor's RMA service is bloody brilliant, I use it here in work and they're a treat to deal with, so much easier than other hard drive RMA's I've done before. I like Maxtor drives, I've found them to be fast and reliable, although they do heat up a tad.

Equally, Western Digital are nice fast and reliable too, although I've had a few headaches with their RMA/support service in the past.

I'd reccomend Maxtor, if you can't get an IBM.

13. sp00n

sp00n What's a Dremel?

Admittedly, Maxtors Advanced RMA is good, but the only reason I know this is because I purchased a DMax +9 80Gb, which was DOA. I RMA'd it, and the replacement was faulty too! Then, the replacements replacement was faulty too, eventually the 4th drive i received worked. Although at least they replaced it with a 120Gb :). I also have a seagate 80Gb (both SATA, as RAID0) which has functioned perfectly from the start.

My old IBM 60GXP has given me 2 or 3 years of trouble free service too, i'd get an IBM again.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I just think you have are "the anomylie?? anomilie?.. anom... freak :p"

EVeryone here would have crapped out IBMs and lubbly maxtors. My DM9+ crapped out after 6 months but their advanced RMA service ROCKS! :rock: within a day or 2 i had a replacement drive before i sent mine off.

Still - totally agree with Will though

/me hugs seagates