1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New i7 build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Razman, 23 Dec 2014.

1. The Razman

The Razman What's a Dremel?

Heya. I've decided to build a new rig from scratch to suit my video-editing (After Effects/Premiere) and gaming needs, and decided to splash out a bit and get an i7. Most I've ever spent on a rig before.

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/260992d471d440ecb047dad0a2089f3a

Two things:
    First, I'm a little concerned that the Noctua won't fit the case, but I can't get my head around the way they've said the dimensions for each of them.
    Case: 190 x 430 x 473 (WxHxD mm)
    Noctua: 450 x 165 x 135 mm (WxHxD)

Not really working with my brain to figure out what they've done there and whether it will be a problem.

Second: Does the setup look ok to you guys? Wasn't really planning on going as expensive as this, but it snowballed a little.

Thanks.

2. creative

creative 500rwhp

the height of the cooler dimension is compared to the width of the case.... and its a monster looking at the compare pic in the reviews! lol

Last edited: 23 Dec 2014
  3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What creative said, width, height, and depth are measured on the objects normal orientation.

4. The Razman

Unfortunately I'm the type of person where mentally orientating things doesn't really work in my brain. Judging by the numbers I ... think it should fit? Hopefully, anyway.

It's definitely what I'd consider a monster, I'm just wondering if I've gone overkill and am just throwing money away at this point. I'm going to be doing some fairly intensive video-editing (After Effects, lots of rendering and conversion), figured if you're going to go i7 then you have to go the whole hog otherwise you're just bottlenecking yourself.

5. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

The case is only 19cm wide, so I doubt it will fit.

From Thermaltake website:
    CPU cooler height limitation: 160mm

6. The Razman

Ah. So the Noctua's 5mm too high for the case. Thank god I found that out, thanks.