Windows PC cant download any files! Urlmon.dll error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gorguruga, 22 Jul 2003.

1. Gorguruga

Gorguruga What's a Dremel?

I'm currently undergoing two major problems ..

1. No images are displayed - where there should be a an image there's only a box with a little red x. I tried Internet options/show picture and security settings - they're set correctly. Still no pictures. But, when I right click on the box and click "show picture" that picture is then displayed.

2. I can't download any files. Everytime I click to download a file I get the message "iexpore has caused an error in urlmon.dll" then then the browser closes. The download problem seems to be extended to outside of IE because I tried updating Spybot and it crashed (but without giving the urlmon error message).

Anyone know how to solve this? I'm baffled.

2. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

3. Gorguruga

I should have mentioned that I been searching google for the past 3 hours but all the pages link back to the same couple of solutions. Had no luck with those.

4. Gorguruga

Well, I managed to fix the problem. Incase anyone experiences it in the future I'll briefly explain what to do...

1. If you don't already have one, download a download manager like GetRight or Go!Zilla through an ftp client like LeapFTP. Do a search in www.OTH.net to find the download manager.

2. Use the download manager to download Internet Explorer Service Pack 2 from the Microsoft site. The downloading problems are IE specific and are circumvented with a DL manager.

3. Install IE SP2 and the problem should disappear. You also get slightly improved surfing speeds with the SP2 which is a nice reward for all the hassle.

Tags: