1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My Acrylic case and static

Discussion in 'Modding' started by WYSIWYG, 22 Jul 2003.

1. WYSIWYG

WYSIWYG What's a Dremel?

i have an akasa acrylic case and it looks uber sweet and all but i get a lot of static build up on the right hand panel which is where the mobo is mounted onto. is there anyway i can protect the mobo by grounding the mobo or case somehow

thanks

:wallbash:

2. linear

linear Minimodder

Novus #1 polish is the best thing for it. There's a UK supplier listed in the useful liks thread in this forum.

3. WYSIWYG

WYSIWYG What's a Dremel?

i thought maybe i could run some wire from one of the motherboard mounts and then to the earth on a mains plug:idea:

or do the staff have any ideas at bit tech as they have a beantech case whis is almost identical (same screws, design and power buttons)

also does anyone know how i can get spares for my case:confused:

4. linear

linear Minimodder

Acrylic isn't conductive. Add all the wires you like, but it's not really going to help.

I'm not sure what spares you would want, but it's all just acrylic sheet, give or take a little machining.

5. WYSIWYG

WYSIWYG What's a Dremel?

well i didnt spend £130 to make parts for it.

anyhoo im after a new power button reset button PCB.

as for the static. i know acrylic isnt conductive but when the motherboard side is touched it locks up the pc so im assuming its static jumping onto the motherboard or something. i just want something so that it doest affect the motherboard but instead gets carried off somewhere or something like that:wallbash:

6. beta124

beta124 What's a Dremel?

Grounding the motherboard mounts will work fine, just make sure there is less resistance from the mounts to the ground as any other path.

7. WYSIWYG

WYSIWYG What's a Dremel?

sorry. excuse my n00bness

what do u mean by less resistance

8. Miku

Miku What's a Dremel?

:idea: Maybe anti- static wipes will work

9. Clockworks999

Clockworks999 What's a Dremel?

Do you get a static shock when you touch the case, or when you touch a metal water pipe? If you do, then maybe the problem is static in your body, which is travelling to earth through the motherboard. Normally the charge would travel through a metal case to ground, missing the mobo.

Maybe you could try reducing the static build up in your body (increase room humidity, change your footwear), or sit the PC on an antistatic mat (or one of those antistatic bags that mobos are shipped in), connected to ground. Although acrylic is non-conductive, the static charge should still leak away to a good ground.

Cheers

10. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

i think clockworks 99 may have the best idea yet. otherwise, u need to put a ground between the acrylic sheet and the mobo