Peripherals usb3/sata 3.5" card reader

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cdb, 15 Feb 2015.

1. cdb

cdb No comment

I'm looking for a replacement card reader that I can put in a 3.5" bay. I want the card reader side to be usb3 or sata 2or3 so that my cards can operate at their 80MB/s speeds and faster when I get new cards in the future. I'd also like a couple of usb3 sockets in the card reader so I can free up a 5.25" drive bay.

I've been Googling, but quite often when it says usb3 card reader it means there's 1 or 2 usb3 ports on the card reader and the card reader side is usb2.

Anyone got experience of a fast card reader?

TIA.

PS Forgot to mention I use Compact Flash and SDXC.

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I've never seen anything that matches your requirements exactly, I honestly doubt it exists.

The Lexar Pro reader is one of the best and fastest card readers on the market, but it's not bay mounted...

I just have a usb3 extension lead velcro-tied to my monitor leads so the extension sits nicely under my monitor ready for use.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Delock 91725
    [​IMG]

4. cdb

cdb No comment

Thanks guys.

Atomic, I already have that card reader but I'd like to have an internal one to tidy things up abit.

Ivan, that doesn't look too bad. Shame there's only one usb3 port.

5. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Trouble is, those internal USB3 headers only provide for two external ports, so if the card reader is using one, then you've only got one left for the front of the case.
    I think the only other options would be either:
    • A motherboard with multiple USB3 headers (I don't think there are any yet)
    • An addin card with an internal USB3 header (here's one for about £16)
    • Some kind of USB3 capable hub hidden inside your case.

6. cdb

cdb No comment

Yeah, I never thought of it that way.
    I already have an internal pci usb3 card with a usb3 header and 2 external rear ports. The header is connected to 2 front usb3 ports (occupying a 5.25" bay) which I was hoping to free up by moving the ports on to the card reader. The case has only got usb2 on the front as standard.

7. cdb

cdb No comment

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IIRC the higher-end ASUS Z97 boards have 2 headers, i know mine [Z97-Pro] does, though the second one is an ASMedia controller...

9. cdb

cdb No comment

Yeah, I'm still on an Intel p55 chipset. When I upgrade I'll get a motherboard with 2 usb3 headers as the only one I have at the moment is on a pcie card.

10. phem0r

phem0r What's a Dremel?

My Maximus VII Hero only has the one header.

To the OP, i recently ordered a Transcend USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K). It cost $6 and to me it's awfully fast when used with media that can take advantage e.g. the sandisk extreme pro sd card i bought too

11. elise_s1

elise_s1 What's a Dremel?

done the same: 2x 3.0 ports at the front and an external USB 3.0 card reader plugged in only when needed

12. cdb

cdb No comment

Well I added a 2nd pcie usb3 header card so I now have 3 front usb3 ports, just need to buy something to use in them now.lol

Found a down side to the Panasonic UJ265 Slim Slot Loading blue ray drive, it doesn't take those 8cm cds with firmware etc on them.

13. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Barely any slot load drives take the small CDs, not just slim line ones.