1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade potential

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shindead, 16 Feb 2015.

1. shindead

shindead What's a Dremel?

Hello, basically I have been wanting a new pc for ages but currently I am not able to just fork out £1000 or so as Ive just bought a car and planning to move this year. This now leaves me to upgrade my ancient computer if possible. I mainly play League of Legends which is pretty much the only game I play and use my pc for.

[​IMG]

are my system specs... When I bought my pc it was pre overclocked but from what cpuz is telling me its running at stock which isnt good and also dropping below that :s maybe i need to re overclock it?

Basically I will be upgrading it in small parts so gfx card / hard drive or whatever you think it needs unless you suggest i just upgrade the lot in which I would have to do it in one go :/

HELPPPP

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Regarding the overclock, depending on the BIOS settings the CPU will only run at it's OC'd speed when it needs to, so idling on the desktop it'll not be doing much :D

Also, can you just post a list of your current setup's components rather than a screenshot? It's a bit hard to read and doesn't really give us a whole load of info.

I assume from the resolution of your screenshot that your monitor is 1680x1050, aye? Finally, what's your budget for upgrading?

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

That's defo running stock, try upping the fsb in bios.

What motherboard you running?

Should be able to scrape over for a while yet, clock the cpu and say swap the GPU out for a cheap 7870 or something.

4. shindead

its a 22" samsung monitor I actually dont know the components tbh :/ i know its a Q6600 or whatever it was called. The GFX card is a 4800 not sure which model either. I am open to any suggestions I know the gfx card could do with an upgrade and possibly the RAM. I dont want to get a GX card that will bottle neck though. If you could tell me an easy way to find out all my components including the mother board ill happily post them. I have now managed to get the CPU to 2.9 but would like to get it to 3.2 or so? not sure if that is possible on air?

I read a review on http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-345-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1984 would this be a good choice?

Last edited: 17 Feb 2015
  5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

What's your budget, chief?

6. shindead

Im probably thinking around the 3-400 range in total until i can afford to just buy a new PC. Would you also recommend getting windows 7? or just a general re install of XP?

Last edited: 17 Feb 2015
  7. shindead

anyone? :)

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I would hit the used market. If you choose wisely you can upgrade the entire thing within budget. Maybe grab something from 1366 platform or older 1155 parts and a gtx670 or something similar. Upgrading your OS is going to be necessary to taking advantage fully of modern hardware. I would just go for 8.1, no point in staying behind in version.

9. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Look into Windows 10. You might be able to use the technical preview for your OS

10. elise_s1

elise_s1 What's a Dremel?

Depending on use you may consider also a Linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint running steam for gaming

Engraved using an ancient artifact

Last edited: 27 Feb 2015
  11. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

In CPU-z:
    from the CPU tab "Name"
    from the Mainboard tab "Manufacturer" and "Model"
    from the Memory tab "Type" and "size"
    from the Graphics tab "Name" and "Board Manuf"

This is what I'd do in W7, it should be similar enough in XP: To find what HDDs you have, go to Start Menu - right-click "Computer", select "Manage". In the window that opens left-click "Disk Management". Right-click (C: ) drive, select "Properties". On the Hardware tab of that window All disk drives will be named.

If you want to find out if the Power supply can be used once other components have been upgraded, you will have to find out what it is by opening the case and taking photos of the unit, including any stickers which might be visible.

While the case is open you should probably take the opportunity to consider whether you will continue to use it for your upgraded system. If so, what limitations does it place on you, such as graphics card clearance. Measuring the case's external dimensions and internal spaces would be helpful to make that determination IMO.

I would suggest looking for benchmarks of any graphics cards you're considering, which have been tested on the game(s) you're interested in, at the resolution you plan to use and see if it gives acceptable performance.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2015