1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Lenovo pledges an end to bloatware

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Mar 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

We've seen the error of our ways, blah blah blah.

To be honest I'd like an option during the setup of a new, retail bought PC:

Install crapware? Y/N

Almost everyone with any sense would choose not to of course, but some of the bundled tools and suites can actually be helpful for those who aren't quite as literate as you or I.

Of course, they've usually bought a woefully underpowered laptop which struggles to boot into Windows full-stop, without worrying about the extra 2.5 minutes it takes to load the latest MegaDock widget that manufacturer X has deemed better than Microsoft's own start screen.

3. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I'd prefer:

Install Windows? Y/N And if No, discount the Windows license in the retail price, no matter what price it may be.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Ha, fair point. You'd probably only save about €15 though, they buy licenses for peanuts.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'll believe it when i see it.

6. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Im with Corky on this..

Lies. There will be something on the OS no matter what they say, that's just how it is.

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If it is lies it'll be found out pretty quickly.

If they really do learn from this, mend their ways and instead become basically the only company not to have any bloatware at all then that can only be good. Especially if it leads to more awareness and competition amongst other manufacturers to provide a clean system.

I'm not going to rush out and re-buy my Yoga just yet though...

8. Kruelnesws

Kruelnesws What's a Dremel?

For a company that is so security centric, this was a huge blunder. Doubt they will make that mistake again... but only time will tell. I just wish that you could get a bare OS then load what you want off a website or cd/ USB drive. I always did a fresh install of all the retail pc's I had or others got me to fix.
    Maybe that's why I build my own, control.

9. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I know, but I wouldn't be using it anyway. I would only keep it (for that price) if I could migrate it to a VM, which, as far as laptop licences go, doesn't work.