1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V In-ear headphone recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 11 Mar 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

How awful are we talking here? Like, objectively awful, or audiophile awful? Basically, because mine sound pretty good (if a little bass-heavy, perhaps) can I assume that they're fine and you were just unlucky enough to get a bad one (of a bad batch, possibly) - or is there a risk that they're actually crap and I'm just too stupid to realise it?

2. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

Ironically I broke my golden rule and bought a set of Sennheiser CX299's from.....I'm ashamed to say it......PCWorld (please no trolling) for £30. The sounds decent for the money. Broke my Sony ones on the way home from work and it was the nearest place to get a set. The CX 300-II are also really good for the money. Just my opinion.

3. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

I have no doubt that Sennheiser CX300-II are a very good headphones for the price and I had an opportunity to use the 'good' ones for a while. Also all these positive reviews can't be completely wrong, so I do think I just got a bad one.

I did use the cx301 for some time (more than a year). Although I couldn't compare them directly with the cx300-II which I bought later, I've been able to check both against my other quite punchy, bass oriented Sennheiser HD558 and a very detailed AKG K702, but believe me there was no point for that. From the very first time I tried mine cx300 I knew there was something wrong with them. Bass was heavy but very dull, midrange and high almost not existent. Lack of details and clearness in all three: bass, mid and high. Free Samsung phone headphones were much better. I did check for all known fake signs, but the build quality was ok and this worries me most. I would really prefer to find they were fake, but I am convinced they were genuine Sennheiser. :(

4. Deders

Deders Modder

They aren't crap, but there are a lot of fakes out there. Same for the Sony's. Somehow a batch of fake ones must have gotten into the Amazon warehouse.

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

On my 2nd set of Sennheiser CX300-II as I wore my last set up, I love the bass and nice and comfy when at the gym.

6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I have some RHA MA-350s, it was a toss up between them and SoundMagic E10s after they both received numerous rave reviews.

The build quality is beautiful but they are a little on the bright side sound wise. I'm a little torn about them but still happy with my purchase because the sound isn't bad (I think I may just not really get on with in ear headphones - when I can get a decent seal they sound so much better) and they are rock solid as they're machined out of aluminum.

It also annoys me a little the sound of the braided cable rubbing travels through them a reasonable amount (I can imagine this would happen with all braided in ear headphones though).

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

I picked up the Sennheiser CX475 today (for my girlfriend;)) and I will get the Sony next month for myself. :clap:

8. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

In case someone is still looking for cheap in-ear headphones:
    SoundMagic ES18
    These are very close to well reviewed SoundMagic E10, but lesser build quality.
    The sound is definitely V-shaped, so not in everyones taste, however for a 10 quid I am really impressed.

9. Deders

Deders Modder

Interested in what you mean by V shaped?

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Presumably that there's not much middle but loads of bass and treble?

11. Deders

Deders Modder

Ahh V shaped eq, or scooped as guitarists would say. Makes sense.

12. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Exactly where the name came from.

V-Shaped
    Enhanced bass and treble make for an exciting, v-shaped sound with these earphones, providing a lively sonic experience typically reminiscent of the “Rock” setting on many equalizers. Due to the way the human loudness contour works, at lower volumes a mild v-shape can actually present a fairly balanced experience. (source)

13. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

I'd suggest these: The Hifiman Re-400

I had the RE-0 and they blew my mind. But, beware that they're not by amazon themselves, and I prefer a more balanced sound.

Otherwise, I've recently been using Philips Fidelio S1. Again, balanced sound and seem to hold together quite well. These are sold by Amazon themselves.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

I'd suggest you vist a music shop where they will let you try out some of them. Prefer custom in ears these days much better comfort than none customs. Downside is the price. Depends how serious you are about music.

Shures mid range are awesome but expensive. There low end which the 215s where are still better than pretty much everything sub £60 on the market even today.

If your listening to high quality encoded 320+ then you will notice the difference. More so when paired with a high quality encode program ( the better ones are free).

Depends on music your interested in and there is other brands out there that offer similar quality for similar cash.

Really does depend on budget. Under £60 there's choices but are they better than what you already have that's debatable and not sure I'd spend good money unless they were a upgrade. Your problem is likely the upgrade to duel driver in ears is about £130 - £250 depending on brand.

Trusted reviews has some good headphone reviews I'd start there and move on to different tech websites. Then try and get a listen on the pair you wish to buy. ( most high end audio shops will offer this service as the buds are cheap to replace)

15. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

I used to always have the CX300's, however after losing an ear bud on a plane and being unable to justify the extorniate price for them in Dubai I ended up with the Sony MDR-EX100. Could never get back used to the CX300's after using the Sony's.

Anyway I was looking across this thread when looking for a proper replacement and came across the "Sony MDR EX650". Picked up a pair about a month back. Personally I find them great and have even noticed subtle things, like in a song with some clapping I was able to distinguish that it was two different types of clapping. Something I hadn't noticed before even on £2.5k worth of sound equipment. Snug fit, but they are a bit larger and heavier than the CX300's, not that I've noticed this while wearing them. The noise cancellation is perhaps a bit too good though for when someone wants my attention at work. :D