Disaster CPU,s Spark !!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ouroboros, 2 Feb 2002.

1. Eyes in the Dark

Eyes in the Dark What's a Dremel?

my old physics teacher had one of them.....yeah all stand on chairs and hold hands he said....it'll be fine he says.....wielding in his hand a metal ball on a stick!! :eeek:

....and metal chair legs can be fun to make people jump to.....not that I ever did anything like that :worried: :eeek: :eeek:

2. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

I've played with the little red button BBQ igniters so much I dont even flinch from them any more.

and just the other day I had a PSU open, and was running it, (had to test the leds I just mounted), and I accidentialy touched a PCB, and I feld this buzz in my arm, I though that's probably 60 Hz, so it is probably house current.

After I pulled my hand away (it wasn't held there I just didn't jump) I god my multimeter, and measured the points I thought I touched. About 300 VAC on the meter, though it probably was house current that had gone through a bride rectifier, as a voltage doubler.

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

300VAC? you mean DC?

we did that at school.. charging a capacitor to about 400VDC put it on a rod with two metal edges....

you have no idea on how fun it was to put that thing on someones hands...

i tried on purpose (sp??) it hurts! really cool though.. :brrr: :thumb:

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, I've done that one too...

Had a shocking little incident recently involving my ghetto modded PSU (I clipped off the green and a ground wire from the ATX power connector then soldered them together - always on psu :))....

I use it in the front of the shop to display neons and illuminated fans, etc, but I took it back into the workshop to test a mobo/CPU with it... The kit worked ok, so I unplugged the mains cable, and managed to touch the three pins on the back of it (where the mains cable goes in). Now, this shouldn't happen, but I got a nasty shock going all down my arm and across my chest, and my hand instantly grabbed the PSU. Worst part is, it took me a few seconds to realise I was getting an electric shock, and I couldn't take my hand off it! It must have been a discharge from a capacitor, 'cos after about 15 seconds, I couldn't feel anything more and I could let go. There's no scarring or burn marks there, so it couldn't have been much power, but it sure scared the hell out of me! (I hate that funny taste you get in your mouth after a shock!)

I've also tapped soldering irons on the back of my hand to see if they're working (got lots of burn marks from that), ran a 1.4GHz T-Bred athlon with out a heatsink & fan (when they were brand new) :duh:, seen many-a-power supply explode and short out the shop's mains... I work as an IT tech, so I get to see all manner or botched mods, dodgy kit, exploding electronics, etc, I'm getting used to it now :)

5. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

technically it is DC but not pure DC, because the output from that runs to the primary driving transformer.
    It would be better measured as AC because the voltage between the points varies from 0v to over 300v at 120hz (the bridge rectifier as a voltage doubler would also double the frequency). There is also some other bits in the voltage doubler also.

6. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

anyone here know wot a flying fox is, not the animal
    its kinda a rope that u hang under and slide down, well me and my m8s decided to make one, it was quite long, we were proud of it and were having fun on it, untill it was my turn to go down, we were using a stick to slide down on it and about half way down i sliped and went the rest of the way on my thumb, it ground the skin down to the bone yet suprisingly didnt hurt

7. Dazbo666

Dazbo666 What's a Dremel?

It didn't HURT ?!?!
    FFS were you on something, or just high on adrenaline?? ;)

8. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

dunno, i knew id done it but i just looked at it and noticed the bone there.... made a lovely scar

9. Paperbag

Paperbag What's a Dremel?

The first two aren't really mod related, but here goes.

I was walking up the driveway to my house a couple of years ago. It was winter at the time, about 20 degrees below, and the ground was covered with about 5cm of pure ice.
    Of course, I slipped. Both legs disappeared behind me, and I hit the ice with my forehead - straight on. And I blacked out. I have no idea how long I was out there, but eventually I woke up (cold, sick and dizzy) and got inside. I had a nasty concussion, but didn't go to the hospital. Dunno why I didn't, it just seemed right at the time.

The other time was at my grandparents'. I was playing around with my cousin (who's 8), and I ran into some bushes to hide. I quickly discovered that there was this really steep rock hill on the other side. After falling down, I felt no pain, so I thought I was all right. But as I got up, I saw blood just pouring from the tips of my fingers. Turned out I had a big hole in my arm, and I could see the bones inside. Didn't feel a thing tho.

The third one was while soldering an LCD-display. I was busy trying to hold a wire in place, and grabbed the soldering iron - not by the plastic handle, but by the tip. Didn't realize this until like 4 seconds later. Had a nice cylinder-shaped burn straight across my fingertip.
    A bit later, still soldering the LCD, a big drop of liquid solder went from the tip of the soldering iron and touched down on my thumb. I could do nothing but wait until it had cooled - 1mm or so below the skin. Luckily, I got it all out in one piece. Hurt like hell though.

10. Nelsmar

Nelsmar What's a Dremel?

was working on my pannel for fans/lighting once and one of the wires i hadnt solered yet (test run) came loose and htie the case... thign smoked whoel room and it burnt the side of my case black... gota love enermax did it for 45 seconds and didnt shut off lol big LONG spakrs.... now i keep a fier extinguisher next to my case

11. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

ok ok,
    at the age of:
    2 operation, broken tear duct
    10 split head, 8 stitches
    10 broke left arm
    11 broke right arm
    12 broke right arm again...

thats basicly it..... no electric shocks, as of yet am only 15 :D loads of time to get some practice in and learn from you professionals!

12. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

OStickO: Are you a cross driver??

13. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

No really i know the osticko guy and he really is the most accident prone gyt i know. My only flirt with electricity happened on a walk around derbyshire at the age of 15, when i accidently pissed on an electric fence, which, as you can imagine was quite an experience and not for the faint hearted.

14. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

I have never been electricuted or anything, no burns, no broken bones. Been run over 3 times, and only minimal bruising. I am either really safe, or a hardnut! (i wonder which :p )

Lmfao @ monkeyville

-cLoWn

15. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

Glad u think its funny althouth it bloody hurt at the time. U should try it for the ****s and the giggles.

16. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

PLAYSTATION

i was about 13/12 when i thought hey wtf i will open my PS1
    just to see how it looks and all.
    i was then playing with the motor and for some reson i put my hole hand on the POWER pcb on the right!
    OHW!!!!

OMFG that hurt ****!

oh right its still pluged in! :STUPID ME::

well the other day i was trying to plu my monitor in the PSu you the with the 3 pin now because i cant find the dam plug in the PSU i put my hand at the back and i managed to put my finger on the main 3 pins bang! my hand never moved so fast!

well again wont do that again! :clap:

THIS IS A GREAT FORUM LOVE IT THE BEST!!!

17. Butch

Butch What's a Dremel?

WTF no way!!!! :lol:

Do they really!?!??!

18. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Um u know those electric fly swats well I touched it, thinking it was off :rolleyes:

I was screwing on a NEW lightbulb and didn't realise the light switch was on and it imploded, yes imploded in my face. Lucky it didn't explode into my face or more importantly eyes.

19. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

we have fun with 12V power supplies in physcis. first just sparking one... but not much sparks, and they trip out way too fast... so hook two together... much better.

anyway one day we were leaning about electromagnetism, so while the rest of the class was wondering how an electric current can make a compass move, we (me and my friends who get good grades w/o trying because school is "by idiots, for idiots") were taking the rustly needles off these open-air compasses and sparking them with 36V (3 power packs). Unfortunately the teacher noticed, but it was worth it. and nothing was damaged.

the other two stuff (and me) did get damaged but they're a bit OT, so say if yas want to hear.

20. livelife46290

livelife46290 What's a Dremel?

Okay Im 15 had only minimal encounters with 120VAC well i was working late in the theatre at my school. Theres a 400 Amp,220VAC circuit breaker that i was shutting off so i could change a plug on one of the plugs for the theatre lamps. So i pulll the huge lever down and its all good I replace the plug and i go to flip the lever again and i got shot halfway across the room. Not sure what happened, never figured it out all i know is that i had a huge burn on my chest and now it turned into a nasty scar.