1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Build Log] **White Metropolis** A Liquid-Cooled Modular CaseLabs S5+Ped Build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by guitarhero23, 27 Mar 2015.

1. k4p84

k4p84 What's a Dremel?

Have you tried sending the chap your drawing in DXF , exportable from AI. It is a CAD file extension so they may have more luck changing it over into G-code (one assumes that is what they would feed into a cutter)

Ask what thickness the other suppliers can cut, are you willing to reduce the thickness to give yourself more potential suppliers.

2. guitarhero23

guitarhero23 What's a Dremel?

I wanted thinner, but 1/8 is the most common as the thinnest. 1/16th isn't seen as much when I was searching, I don't care about thickness as long as it's not THICKER than 1/8

3. guitarhero23

Big Update!!!! Case Mods Part 2:
    [​IMG]

Ok so all of the big time scary case mods are done and I will report back that I was successful in not destroying any of the items and causing a delay in the build. I used the brainstorm 40, measure,30, brainstorm again 20, measure 10 more, cut once strategy.

I have done the following:

1. Big square in mid chassis for pump
    2. 3 pass through fittings. One in middle chassis two in floor
    3. modified the EK DDC UNI mount to fit.
    4. Switched SSD mount location, drilled new holes
    5. Stealth mounted 2x HDD, custom mounting for each
    6. Altered stealth mount to be able to plug in the HDD's
    7. Assembled soft tubing QDC's in pedestal
    8. Cut out part of the pedestal to fit the EK barbs from the top half of this module design,
    9. Installed CPU Supremacy EVO block
    10. Finished my custom RES mount which can be adjusted.
    11. Fit in midplate into where it belongs

Now... PICTURE DUMP.

This worked at first, then realized the fatal flaw of the bracket up top limiting me. Used the jigsaw and air compressor dremel aftrr that
    [​IMG]

Fill-Port 1
    [​IMG]

Also had to shorten the depth of it so the pump was poking out just the right amount
    [​IMG]

New home for the SSD
    [​IMG]

Stealth mount HDD
    [​IMG]

Altered Stealth Mount. Cables fit in very smoothly.
    [​IMG]

EK Supremacy EVO
    [​IMG]

Custom RES mount is sturdy!
    [​IMG]

Mid-plate fits
    [​IMG]

Now you should begin to see my plan in these next pics if you didn't understand it already. MODULAR SIZE FOR LAN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have one last bit of great news. The guy I was working with on the acrylic laser cutting can FINALLY get a good trace now that I exported the files as .dwg for AutoCAD. We are in business fella's, those are getting cut Saturday morning. The cool stuff is coming soon :).

Last edited: 16 Apr 2015
  4. Bygone

Bygone Minimodder

Cant wait :) looking good sofar

5. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Looking good indeed! I don't have the stones to cut into my Caselabs case! Far too chicken.

6. guitarhero23

Acrylic Midplate, 2x Backplates (2 different designs), and PSU cover are being cut tomorrow. I'm going to experiment and see if I like the look of it being back lit or if I find it too gawdy. Again, I'm going with simplicity and class over IN YOUR FACE themes here. But noone said a little light can't be classy :)

I have some of this I will test the look of both as it is, and backlit.
    [​IMG]

If I think it'll be too distracting on the eyes when backlit or not the right blue when on it's own I'll experiment with some printed items as the backing.

I also bought some of this but don't think I'll use it but it looked cool. (Someone give me an idea on how to use it!)

Mirror Acrylic:
    [​IMG]

I'll be making major strides tonight and this weekend and will "probably" post a video of the laser cutting work if the gentleman doing it doesn't mind me doing so.

7. GregEl

GregEl What's a Dremel?

Could you design a mid-plate right next to the motherboard for the cables to pass through?

But here is the idea, you could use the mirror acrylic to make that mid plate an infinity mirror with a white led strip. Don't make it a huge plate and too flashy, but I think right next to the motherboard it could look nice.

8. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Love what you did with the pump and pumptop!

9. guitarhero23

You know why this is a good idea? Because I'm already planning to test this out. I'm waiting until near the end to see if I like this. Might put an acrylic panel between RES and MOBO, but if I do it'll probably be in white.

Thanks, trying to be originally, plus I want it shown off and it wouldn't fit unless I cut that square. I panicked a bit when I first realized it wasn't going to fit as I thought I did my research measurements correctly.

10. guitarhero23

Update:
    [​IMG]

Update #6 Laser Cutting + GPU

Did a lot of work today (10 hours) and although I did so much I feel I have so little to show for it!

Anyways. I have done some more painting (had to redo a bunch because I had a couple items fall victim to Plastidip being fragile)
    [​IMG]

I also figured out my way to sort of "lock in" the pedestal to the s5 with a click in system using....The CaseLabs side panel connections! I had them send me some extras. It works great!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for the Exciting bit. LASER CUTTING

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GPU: (Notice the Bitspower logo inside the block, grey matches cables. Silver has been whitened with vinyl.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lastly here is a little video of the laser cutting. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdU_uM0-96A

11. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Looking very, very good!

12. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Now THIS is how you get my attention! :thumb: Pure modding backplate pron there!

13. guitarhero23

I've done it! I started this whole build to get you to notice me and I've failed thus far but now I've done it! Haha just joking thanks for the feedback. glad you like iy.

14. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

AWESOME back plate!!! :jawdrop:

15. guitarhero23

By the way, you're the reason I got my back plates to work with the guy I wanted to work with. I had pretty much ended the discussion with him? Then said F it 1 last shot and sent him the .dwg and they worked! Can't thank you enough.

Btw, I never mentioned this but my last name is Simpson so I love the name and avatar :).

EDIT:
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHH Man, just received a great email. Cables are SHIPPED.

He sent me this pic.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Apr 2015
  16. GregEl

GregEl What's a Dremel?

Really nice colors man! Great paracord sleeving too! Could you cut circle stickers to cover the 6 visible capacitors of the GPU with light blue?

17. guitarhero23

Hmmm, I like the idea. I think I'll experiment with this after word. My concern is that although they aren't pretty it's pretty standard to see so your eye doesn't really notice them when in the overall build. If I put the blue it'll stand out and the eyes might get distracted from other things seeing blue polka-dots. I'll have to see how it goes! Thanks.

18. GregEl

GregEl What's a Dremel?

I understand what you mean. I agree that you barely notice them. If they were silver and blue capacitors like the HOF cards then it would be quite fine, but that red bothers me just a little bit. If you don't like the polka-dot look you can always make the stickers your own design and stick them to the waterblock's bottom side.

It could look something like this
    [​IMG]

Just an idea. Bitspower blocks look beautiful anyway and when you see the whole build those capacitors will be a needle in a hay stack.

19. guitarhero23

Wow kudos on the work with that. I gotta tell you, putting the city scape in that upper right hand corner is incredibly tempting....Would mean I'd have to take it apart again though, which was hard to get on! I wonder if I can just slide it in from the top, question is where to glue it to so it stays...Maybe a little super glue on the end of the capacitor.

20. guitarhero23

With cables arriving Wednesday this is my plan of attack. Nothing is set though so who knows what could happen.

Wednesday:

• Sleeve last Darkside LED cables
    • Test idea with cityscape in block
    • File down pedestal more
    • Test Darkside LED with the smaller strip. Cut holes if needed
    • Polish blue acrylic to lightup better?
    • Where to put LED strip on PSU if at all
    • Do Ensourced cables fit right?
    • Plan where the cable manage clips on acrylic will go.
    • Cut acrylic for pedestal SATA Power
    • Install all Hardware+cables
    • Where to fit ModMyToys 5-way
    • Vinyl HDD
    • Bend PSU Acrylic (If need extra height, can use thick acrylic to raise it up if needed).

Thursday:

• Sleeve Fan Extension Cable
    • Start bending easy tubes

Friday:

• More bending!

Taking today off because I am waiting on stuff plus my hands have gotten destroyed from doing a lot lately. (below isn't counting anything before the 9th since I didn't log that)
    Date:...............Hours
    4/9/2015..................8
    4/10/2015................0
    4/11/2015................5
    4/12/2015................10
    4/13/2015................5
    4/14/2015................5
    4/15/2015................3
    4/16/2015................2.5
    4/17/2015................2.5
    4/18/2015................10
    4/19/2015................8.5