1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware An Overview of High-Bandwidth Memory (HBM)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 19 May 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

That was a jolly interesting read thanks, I now look forward to seeing the difference it makes over GDDR5.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm confused as the article says "capable of achieving 1GB in a single stack of four 2Gb dies" Am I being stupid or should that read "capable of achieving 1GB in a single stack of four 512Mb dies?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's you. One byte (B) is equal to eight bits (b); one gigabyte (GB) is equal to eight gigabits (Gb). Four 2Gb dies makes up a stack of 8Gb, or 1GB; four 512Mb dies would equal 2Gb, or 0.25GB.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Thanks Gareth, it's those damn bees again ain't it. :duh:

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

All they had to do was pick two words that didn't begin with the same letter, but no, it had to be "bits" and "bytes", didn't it? T'ch!

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Wonder if this means we should expect a 4gb r390x with HBM on it.

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

9. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

I'll eat my hat if that's not the case.

As long as it's a marzipan hat, of course.

10. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I hope it doesn't get delayed. I've been wanting to upgrade my graphics card for 3 years but none of the new cards were as fast as I hoped. And the prices too.. argh. I got an ultra wide monitor about 18 months ago, it is amazing specs, good quality and amazing price too. But it needs a graphics card to match and they aren't amazing at anything. The 980 would probably handle the resolution ok, but now I'm reading about the Oculus Rift and Valve's headset and it sounds like it might be more like 4k if you want to do the VR thing, and really needs to be 60fps or as good as you can get, so even the 980 wouldn't cope with that. The new Titan is close but still not great, and that price is laughable.

So all my hopes are on this new AMD! I am praying it is faster than the Titan, similar price or even cheaper than the 980, has ok power requirements and wont make me need a new psu, is cool enough to not ruin the temperatures inside my case, and is quiet enough to not be a nuisance. It is quite a lot of boxes it needs to tick but seems like it stands a good chance.

Tags: Edit