1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Off travelling Mongolia, tech advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-23315, 27 May 2015.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Hey guys,

During a conversation with my Boss, it was noted that since I left school I've never really done anything bar work and be generally ill, in the hospital sense, so he's giving me time off to go travelling, so I've booked to go volunteer in Mongolia for 8 weeks. I've just sorted out Visa's and my flights and jabs, but the next thing is what tech I want to bring..

Part of the reason for going to Mongolia is the lack of phone signal, and having to see everyone's lives updated constantly on Facebook etc. That being said, I still want to take some form of MP3 player and a small digital camera.

Looking on Amazon, all the small battery powered MP3 players look tacky, and like they wouldn't survive a trip to the shops, let along 8 weeks in a yurt and on horseback, so I was wondering if people had suggestions?

As for Cameras, I'll probably go down the route of a pair of Sony DSCHX50's, so that if and when one gets damaged I'd at least have a spare. My main question would be, what size/number of cards/spare batteries does one recommend taking for 8 weeks?

I'm sure I'll discover other questions in due time, hence having a thread in General.

:thumb:

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Grab the sony and couple of 16gig cards should do you fine. I had 3 16 gig cards for a year so it was enough for me and my point & shoot camera.

What i would suggest is a GoPro with Head Mount or Selfie stick. Comes in quite handy when you don't want to take a proper camera along.

As for Mp3 players, why not a only mechanical iPod with the click wheel? The batt usually lasts ages and grab one of those solar rechargeable battery packs from amazon.

And take along a cheapy nokia dumb phone for all other uses.

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I never thought about solar chargers! Ah that solves a lot of issues

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I totally get the no phone thing, but a phone in offline mode can be a very handy thing.
    Switching off calls and data (basically keeping it on flight mode) should mean good battery life.
    When I'm in offline travelling mode my phone is used as a:

MP3/Media player
    Offline mapping/GPS
    Preloaded languages in Google translate
    Spare/quick access Camera
    Ebooks
    Offline wikis via Kiwix
    Taking notes,
    Keeping a diary/schedule/calendar.
    Storing E-tickets/documents

And in an emergency the possibility of using it as a phone is nice.

It doesn't annoy of dominate like it can in day to day life, it's just very useful.

Also a USB power bank is very very handy.

Last edited: 27 May 2015
  6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Are you going to Ulaanbaatar or out of the city? In the city you should be fine with an phone in flight mode.

30 min in any direction, you are going to want the solar charger and the USB battery. The idea of a phone in flight mode is what I would do. But take a spare set of headphones.

IMO, 8 weeks isn't that long that you'd need more then a phone full of music. Think more of a good long play list rather then all the music you ever ripped/own.

Add a kindle with as many good books as you want and you'll be good.

When are you going? will you be there during Naadam?

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Solar is cool but often looking at the pros and cons I find it makes more sense to go for a larger usb power bank instead. It rather depends how often you think you will have access to power.

On that note, I'd try to get a power bank that supports 2A charging and a corresponding mains local/international USB charger. That way when you do have limited access to power you can dump as much as possible into the power bank when available.

I try to make sure everything electronic I have when travelling charges or runs off of USB; Phone, MP3 player, radio, camera. Even torches and fans.

It's not hard to do these days and it's massively neat and convenient especially when combined with a power bank.

9. veato

veato I should be working

For the camera I'd recommend smaller, but a greater number of, memory cards. That way if you lose one or it becomes corrupt you're not going to lose nearly as many photos. Even on a 4GB card you're going to fit a couple of hundred JPEGs on there.

10. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I've driven all the way across Mongolia so if you want to know any more about the country let me know!

There's a lot of sand. Like a lot. It gets in everything so don't worry too much about taking fancy new gadgets.

I had an old 4th gen iPod I used which was solid, kindle for reading and my phone in flight mode for uses like others suggest. Mainly as a 'point and shoot' camera. I also had my DSLR for filming and other photo opportunities. Solar charging will help, I took 6 batteries for my camera and charged everything else off the lighter socket in the car.