Cooling Slim fans - sub 25mm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dariun, 15 Jul 2015.

1. dariun

dariun What's a Dremel?

Hi All,

I'm looking for some slim 120mm/140mm fans, slimmer than 25mm, and haven't had much luck really. I think there's like 1 product match on Scan.

I'm hoping to replace the fans on my H100i gtx and also the stock 140mm front fan of my Obsidian 250D but with so little to choose from I'm not sure what is good or what is bad :eyebrow:

Does anyone know of any "good" options in terms of cooling (I'm not very clued up on pressure or cubic metres of air etc) and noise im comparison to Corsairs stock fans?

Many thanks!

Jhen

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Is there any particular reason you want fans slimmer than 25mm? They do exist, but I don't really see the benefit in them. Scythe still do 120mm Slipstream fans which are only 12mm deep, but they are crap, LOL! You would probably get better performance by blowing on your H100i.

These will be good and are just £5.99 each: Yate Loon D12SL-12C 1350rpm 20mm deep

The reason slim fans are hard to find is because they don't move as much air. And 25mm is already very slim for 140mm (think about the proportions) so I'm not sure you'll ever find slimmer than that!

For cooling a heatsink, the airflow is highly restricted which means fans with better static pressure often perform better than standard fans. High static pressure fans are typically deeper than standard fans, so if it's better performance you want, you need to get something with more depth, not less!

There are too many fans to choose from, simply put. Many vendors advertise ludicrously exaggerated performance stats; most fans are much of a muchness when it comes down to how much air they move.

3. dariun

dariun What's a Dremel?

Hi Lenny

I'm currently using a H100i gtx, Asus z97i-Plus and Obsidian Corsair 250D combo resulting in some fit issues:

1) the orientation of the H100i gtx means I have had to remove the front fan altogether so really there's only the 2 fans for the H100i gtx and the fan from the Gigabyte 970 itx working in the case.

2) Due to the radiator and fans combined thickness there's a tight fit for the motherboard, and quite hard pressing against VRMS/capacitors (I think that's what they are) to fit which I'm concerned about. The motherboard is mounted in the standoffs but I had to push the motherboard tray firmly into place to secure it with the screws so there's a lot of pressure on the screw area.

The H100i gtx is currently only attached using 1 single mount screw so that it does not push against the vrm's/capacitors much, but it's not ideal really as it's at a slight angle.

I'm hoping/thinking that if I can source some decent enough slimline fans I can replace the H100i gtx's stock fans as well as the 250D's stock front fan which will hopefully remove any grinding against the motherboard and increase the air intake via the front panel.

Jhen

4. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The dimensions are in keeping with OP's requirements but the fan certainly won't be able to achieve 48.3 CFM as stated - that's the ludicrously exaggerated stats that I mentioned earlier.

Think about it - a 1450rpm Gentle Typhoon is rated at about 45CFM, so the Gelid won't be able to get anywhere near that, especially on a rad/heatsink.

All that means is that you will lose performance, but the only way to be sure is to buy and try. :)