1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [MOTM] Vault 111 by PEXON 100% - Video and final photos [COMPLETED]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by shrop, 14 Jul 2015.

1. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

2. keenan

keenan Minimodder

Love how the broken windows came out! The blue definitely takes away from the atmosphere. Yellow or possibly even green LED's would suit it better..

3. shrop

shrop El Jefe of Sleeving

4. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Great start pal. Loved the keyboard.

5. shrop

Cheers J :)

6. shrop

Right, so I've ordered some dials and toggles to be used on the front panel of the case. I've got a digital volt meter, this probably won't fit in, but we will see. I also have a retro meter for the voltage and some illuminated figher pilot style toggles.

I have some ideas for a plaque that will be applied to the rear panel, like an official Vault-tec/ requisition order panel type thing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any feedback on these is appreciated, they are just ideas at the moment. Getting one of these cut out with a laser cutter or engraved onto a sheet of mild steel would be awesome.

7. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

I like the middle one, great idea. Gives the rear another focal point. E22 do Laser engraving dont they?

J.

8. shrop

Good point, I completely forgot about Nate, I will give him a ping soon! Cheers Joeman!

I am going to see if I can do some home made etching on some steel too

9. DanielSandsFTW

DanielSandsFTW What's a Dremel?

Think I prefer the top one - it looks more "official" and the small text is more akin to an official notice?

10. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

The top or middle look best to me.

11. shrop

Well.. no response from either of the places I contact in regards to the brass plaque :(

Anyway, small update ahoy!

My toggle switch came in. It looks proper awesome! It came with a fighter pilot style missle switch, as well as an old school on/off faschia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also thought the front 5.25" bays would be a great place for one of the Vault 111 vinyl stickers.

[​IMG]

and after some nice weathering...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shame the font is not quite there to fit in with the style, its more Bioshock styled

I, personally prefer the fighter pilot style switch, so I weathered that first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also managed to get a plaque for the window side panel sorted out. There was a spare piece of steel that came off one of the panels of the case, I think it could have been on the front, but I have no idea, there is so much to the case!

I sanded the powder coating off and using a 9v battery, 2 wires (9v and ground), dipped the ground into a salt water solution and a cotton bud and starting randomly etching into the steel. There was some sweet grime coming off and after about 20 minutes, I got something I was happy with.

[​IMG]

The vinyl stickers were applied before the etching and weathered once I was finished.

[​IMG]

The white spots are from some 3M spray on contact adhesive which was then light aflame using a Turbo lighter to create the burn marks and add some more gnar to the look of the plaque.

I used the same lighter to take off some of the shine of the vinyl sticker, I deliberately went too far on some of the edges, randomly to ensure a natural, weathered look!

Thanks for stopping by. I also got some work on wiring the bottom 4 fans too, will update tomorrow!

Cheers,

James

12. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

The fighter pilot switch looks great :) love those things ;)

13. shrop

Yea, they are super cool! Its just a cheapo ebay one at the moment.

14. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

the fighter pilot thingy would fit the build well - but maybe not with the red color?

15. shrop

I have a clear one coming tomorrow, with a yellow LED that could work well

16. shrop

Hey guys, time for another update.

First off, I managed to find another vinyl sticker I got made up and never found a use for...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weathered up with sand paper, lighter and some ink

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up I manged to get another toggle fighter pilot style switch in. This one will just be for decoration

Soldered the wires up, so the LED can be wired up to a 9v battery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, time for cables! :D

[​IMG]

Double wires and jumpers on the cables will be done with clear shrink and ink for weathering

[​IMG]

BOOM!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All working first time with everything but the -5v lit (20th pin, not used on any PSUs anymore), so all good here :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now.... bare with me, I went a little overboard with the weathering on the cables .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used some electrical tape on the 2nd wire that took more weathering than the other wires, to make it look like someone has tried to repair the loom.

[​IMG]

If its too OTT, I can easily change it... some feedback would be great!

As always, thanks for stopping by!

James

17. shrop

Time for another small update, nothing massive as I've had a very busy weekend!

I done some carnage to the PSU!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to get another set of hex keys to take off the PSU cover, I lost all my dinky ones. I don't want to go too ham on the weathering and get any metallic dust or any of the powder coat inside the PSU and cause issues.

[​IMG]

I also manged to distress the clear connectors, simply sanded random patches and used some ink to make some runs, to ensure it fits in with the theme. Its reallly hard to get some pics of the connectors when its late night in the workshop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, sorry for the small update, I just want to keep the thread up to date!

Thanks for looking.

James/pex

18. MSIRawZ

MSIRawZ MSI UK Rep

In love <3

19. shrop

Hey guys! Time for another update and another very awesomely epic update.

I am very proud to announce that MSI have been so gracious been so gracious to offer support the project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HUGE thank you to Tom @ MSI UK for helping out with the project. I will be ordering the CPU immediately and the mobo should be in tomorrow. Once all the gear is tested, the watercooling and weathering can commence! Not going to enjoy weathering such nice expensive gear, but it has to be done to fit in with the theme.

Since the last update, I've been so busy with work, but I did manage to get a few things done, namely some accessories, Nuka Cola bottle and other items I am still working on/ wondering how to finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BIG thanks to Chris at Overclockers for sorting this awesome little 3-D printed Vault-Boy out too!

[​IMG]

Thanks so much for looking, hopefully some more updates soon!

20. shrop

Hey guys, time for another update!

The new board arrived on friday afternoon. The B150 is potentially an interim board as the z170M version has been delayed. If the Z170 doesn't come through, I will just stick with the B150. I plan on using the 6600K with it, even compared to my current 2500K and 280X, the 980ti and 6000K will blow it out the water, good job considering I am going 4K.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The awesome reinforced PCI-e slot

[​IMG]

Going to test the board and the GPU before I go to town with the weathering on the heatsinks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]