1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics R9 390 - Black Screen in Windows {UPDATE:tested=faulty}

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by MarkVarley, 7 Aug 2015.

1. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

I have just installed my new GPU (XFX AMD R9 390) and I am getting a black screen when the drivers load into windows. It's fine and normal during POST and in safe mode, but as windows is booting the screen goes black just before the desktop appears and doesn't come back.
    I have tried the drivers on the disk 15.20, as well as 15.15 which I have seen online as being the recommended driver for this issue, and of course I have tried the latest driver (15.7...) suggested by AMD update utility.
    Each driver was uninstalled in safe mode then I rebooted to try the next, the issue persists. I have also tried multiple monitors on both DVI's and HDMI.
    This card is replacing my faulty R9-280, I also have an 7870 as a secondary card but I have retested all of the drivers after removing it in case there was some kind of driver conflict between them.
    The power cables have been checked and both 6 and 8 pin cables are connected and working properly.

I've submitted support requests to XFX and AMD after googling hasn't given me any advice beyond "this driver WILL work" not me it didn't, but it's always worth asking here!

Unless I can find something else to try all I've got left to try is a clean install of Windows 10, if that doesn't solve it I'm going to have to return it and buy something else, and there isn't anything else in my price range that suits me.

I'm running Windows 7 x64
    GPU is an XFX R9 390
    Motherboard is Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5
    CPU: AMD 8350
    32GB Crucial Ballistic Tactical
    PSU Corsair AX1200i

Update: Scan (reseller) have tested it and found a fault, so for the benefit of people with a similar problem in the future who find this thread, it is possible for a faulty card to behave this way.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2015
  2. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

Have you tired a complete fresh driver install post safe mode driver sweep? Try downloading DDU from Guru and removing drivers in safe mode. Then try a fresh install of the most compatible drivers

3. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

Yep I've tried that several times with the latest drivers from AMD, 15.15 which is commonly suggested online to solve this issue, and 15.20 from the enclosed CD.

I upgraded to Windows 10 today and found the issue remains.

4. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

Can you try the card in another pc? Rule out the card

5. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

I don't have access to another PC at the moment.

6. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I'd try the following :

use the HD7870 as primary card. Install new card in a different slot. See if windows recognised the card at all when (if) it boots.

If it's seen in windows as the correct card, try using it as primary without removing the 7870 (if it'll let you)

If it's still not recognised (and I'm assuming you've tried 2nd slot, different psu PCIe sockets and cables), I'd assume it was a dud as you have no other PC to test in.

Very bad luck though if you've got 2 dud cards in a row.

7. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

Thanks, I've not tried it as a second card, I'll try that and see where it gets me. I may have time to do that on Tuesday.
    I've had to remove it and refit the 7870 to spend today editing then I'm shooting all day tomorrow.
    My logic is telling me it's the drivers as everything is normal right until my first reboot with AMD drivers when those drivers load (right before the desktop loads).

Could a faulty card behave this way?

I'll try anything to get this working as there is no other card out there that's ideal for me. I bought it from Scan so I'm hopeful they'll tolerate swapping it for the same card from a different manufacturer if I get nowhere with suggestions from here and their own tech support.

8. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

Don't think the card will be a dud if you can see the post screen with it. Try the card on its own without the 7870.

Also I think there are Windows 10 specific drivers from AMD so make sure you use them.

I had a similar-ish problem - thought my 5850 was knackered and bought a 380 which also didn't work...until I realised it was the PCI-E slot on my mobo that was dodgy.

9. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

Yea my logic points at not being dud but I've been wrong before!

One if the first things I did was pull the 7870 in case of driver conflicts or anything else so I've tried the 380 as the only card with all of the different drivers in Windows 7 then after upgrading to 10.

I've not tried the 380 as a secondary card nor alone in the second slot, I'll try that on Tuesday along with any suggestions from AMD, XFX & Scan when (if) I hear back from them.
    I've also got access to an old PC that may be working and may have PCI-E, so I'll try that in the next few days too. It's an old AGP system

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited: 9 Aug 2015
  10. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

I tried it in the second slot and nothing changed, I also reverted back to Windows 7 as I was getting weird problems with context menus and photoshop (CS6) kept crashing, so I will be trying a clean install of W10 sometime.

XFX tech support only said 'try it in another computer or RMA', Scan said 'try it in another computer, have you updated the Mobo BIOS, have you used DDU and tried X and Y drivers', yes I have, 'then here is an RMA', so it's going back to Scan today.

Hopefully they will test it and find a problem , or will just send another anyway. I was considering asking them to send the same card from a different manufacturer just for variety in avoiding whatever the problem was, but I don't think there is much point, so I expect another one will be coming in a week or so and I'll post here the outcome, partly to help anyone finding this thread with a similar problem in the future and partly so you know what happened. I'll be updating my build log too.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

When the 290s were released quite a few people report black screen issues and often it was related to poorly or inadequate PSU, what was wrong with your prior card, perhaps it is related?

12. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

I was running an R9 280 and a 7870 but the 280 was damaged when fitting a backplate, I started getting artifacting and random crashes so for a few months I was running the 7870 as primary and a 9500GT piece of crap as a secondary until I could afford to upgrade (I run three monitors). The power supply is a Corsair AX1200i it's monitoring software isn't showing any problems and I had a PSU tester on it during diagnosing this problem to make sure the cables were behaving.

13. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

Scan tested it and found the same fault, so it appears a faulty card can behave like this, hopefully that information will be helpful to anyone else with a similar problem.

XFX, AMD and Scan all have the same advice of issuing the third party uninstaller and trying the latest drivers having disabled AV and anti-malware with just this lone card fitted. They all also suggested trying it in another machine for obvious reasons and then said it's RMA time.

Scan support were very helpful and took the time to answer my emails and kept me informed, to be fair they were not the very cheapest supplier for this card but I wanted to have their backup in case of problems and it's worth the extra £10 or so. They're my preferred supplier for that reason amongst others.

I expect the replacement will be here next week as they're still showing as in stock and I might have time to fit it before the weekend. I'll update the hopefully happy outcome here and I'll be adding to my build log too.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk