1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Vsync crashes computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fozmcfc, 3 Sep 2015.

1. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

The 4770k does not look overclocked either. x39 is normal clocked

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

That can only really be verified once under full load as the CPU multiplier is changing in the real temp pics he has posted. Although that alone may mean its not overclocked. Is it possible to overclock and still retain dynamic multiplier?

Last edited: 6 Sep 2015
  3. fozmcfc

fozmcfc What you looking at ?

Thanks again for your replies. I'm night shift, so will look tomorrow at running prime95 and will post up the result of running it.

If it doesn't crash the PC, I'll look into reducing the temperature and running watch_dogs, which is the most troublesome game of the lot and will crash with the recommended options set, within the first few minutes every time. I can put up with louder fan noise, if it means a stable PC.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Most likely your power supply. What model do you have?

5. fozmcfc

650W Corsair VS Series

It was the recommended power supply by the company.

I have found my full specs, as below, if it helps.

CASE: SilverStone Fortress FT03 Chassis w/ Advanced Vertical Heat Dissipation
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Quad-Core 4.0GHz [8MB Cache, up to 4.4GHz]
    CPU OVERCLOCKING SERVICE: Yes! PROLINE Overclock my system for maximum performance!
    CPU COOLING: Corsair H80i GT 120mm Advanced High Peformance Liquid Cooler
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus® Maximus VII Gene Intel® Z97 Micro-ATX (Socket 1150)
    MEMORY: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600MHz (4x4GB)
    GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Black Edition 6GB GDDR5 [Rating: 10/10]
    POWER SUPPLY: 650W Corsair VS Series Utopia Certified PSU
    HARD DRIVE BAY 1: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SATA 3 6Gb/s Solid-State Drive
    HARD DRIVE BAY 2: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SATA 3 6Gb/s Solid-State Drive
    OPTICAL DRIVE: 8x Dual Layer DVD Writer Drive (Slot Loading)
    SOUNDCARD: Integrated High Definition Audio - Standard on all systems
    WIRELESS CARD: Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet - Standard on all systems
    PERFORMANCE COOLING KIT: 2x Corsair SP120 Performance Edition: Max Airflow Fans £ 24.99
    THERMAL COMPOUND: IC Diamond 7-Carat High Performance Thermal Compound [Best] £ 9.99
    THERMAL COMPOUND: Premium colour-coded internal sleeved cabling

6. fozmcfc

I ran prime95 for 2 hours 45 mins on the torture test. I understand it is sometimes run for 24 hours, so hope I did enough to tell if anything was wrong. I had to leave for work, so didn't want to leave it on, but can if necessary.

It showed no errors at all and the cpu temperature showed on realtemp that the highest it went to was 77c, so 23c below the maximum.

7. theshadow2001

I guess the next step would be to try stess the gpu on its own. You could use fur mark for that. You could try occt as well. OCCT will allow you to stress each of your components and psu (by stressing the card and gpu together)

8. fozmcfc

Ok will give that a go later today.

9. fozmcfc

Ran both fur mark and psu test on OCCT for about an hour each. No resets at all nothing looking like temperatures were not rising to extreme etc...

However I went into the bios and reset to default settings. The only change it said was made was to the anti surge setting which it switched on.

Loaded up watch_dogs and let the game set settings to what it considers is ideal for my pc.

The pc rebooted at the same position when loading in the story mode.

This time it stopped during boot up and displayed the following

"Power Supply surges detected during previous power on

Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit"

Now this may be a stupid question but does that mean the power supply is definitely faulty or could it still be something else that causes the power supply to malfunction.

10. theshadow2001

Cei had this problem. I think it was a bad cable. Give him a pm and he'll tell you what he did.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2015
  11. fozmcfc

Thanks I've messaged him.

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Alright, it was simply a case of completely stripping out the power cables, cleaning the contacts and re-seating everything. The likely culprit was a loose connection in the 24-pin ATX connector, which meant when the system tried to draw more power (playing games etc) it fell over.

The cable itself, after cleaning and re-seating worked fine in the end. However Corsair were on the point of sending me a new one.

13. fozmcfc

I checked the cables were secure to my graphics card and the 24 pin motherboard connector and both seemed to be in ok, but I now have another problem possibly connected.

The system now powers on for about 5 secs, during which time the fans start, graphics card lights up, then it resets, does the same again and does it several times before it just stops trying.

The motherboard goes through several q codes in that 5 secs, the last 2 codes it displays are 40 then it shows either 03 or EO, I'm not sure which it is, as at that split second it restarts.

Is it possible that in touching the 24 pin connector that the weak link in the connection may have failed completely.

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Seeing as they're the only things you touched I'm going to go wth you've got either a faulty 24pin cable, or dodgy connectors on the board.