1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

memory suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luda, 13 Aug 2003.

1. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

im about to RMA my corsair platinum series XMS3200 512MB 400MHz because it was a very bad module [found over 2000 errors in 5 minutes of memtest86:jawdrop: ].. anyway.. my setup is in my sig and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for memory.. BTW, i will mostly be doin things like photoshop, VB, creating maps in valve hammer editor, counter-strike, and the usuals [AIM, IE, Kazaa++]

thanx m8s

2. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Well, since Corsair kinda bit you in the ass (which I feel bad about since I think I recommended it to you too :duh:), then look at OCZ and Geil. OCZ I'd be a little more wary about, since I've heard some REALLY bad things about the company on the whole, but apparently they put together really good memory.

Oh, and I remember some talk about TwinMOS sticks w/ Winbond chips, or something like that, I can't remember, but I'm sure someone else does.

Oh yeah, remember to get at least PC3200 too.

3. Rav

Rav What's a Dremel?

If money were no option you could always try Mushkin.

4. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

i was just really confused cuz i thought memory was very rarely made bad, but i went to the www.corsairmemory.com forums and there were tons of RMA requests.. oh well.. whypick, dont feel bad, not ur fault, even bit-tech gave it their award of excellence.. i think im gonna look at some kingston and some other reviews.. more suggestions appreciated

5. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

6. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

hopefully it is the memory, not that i have the wrong thing for my setup or have it on too much voltage or wrong timings or w.e, but it shud be right voltage because i left the defaults

7. Rav

Rav What's a Dremel?

8. Boldar

Boldar Minimodder

I've been using Mushkin Black DDR II ram for a while now, I bought a matched pair of 512Mb PC3200, and it's superior by a long way to any of the budget stuff I've used before. Highly recommended.

9. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

I've got some twinmos stuff at the moment (1 stick of 256) with winbond chips. I was going to order another stick of the same but the only place I can find it is Komplett and I had a bad experience with them last time so I don't think i will be ordering from them again. It is very nice memory though, nice and quick, I haven't tried overclocking the memory yet (I've got the processor overclocked because of different fsb requirements!)
    I just need another stick now!

10. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

11. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

This stuff is good :)

Geil

Mat

12. AdeTBun

AdeTBun What's a Dremel?

I'd stick with the Corsair personally as memory from any source can be faulty and at least corsair provide a really good warranty and the memory is usually excellent! :dremel:

13. Madyeti

Madyeti Supermodder & sig shrinking victim

I just got a single 256mg stick of the Geil DDR3200 with the blue aluminum heatspreader and it's pretty awesome for the price...it was something like $40 at newegg. great value, I'm probably going to get another stick soon :D

14. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

just got some PNY 512mb DDR400 pc3200 :) will have it checked out within a few days.. ahh i get on a plane to move to london in like 17 hours :( im gonna miss the states, but ill be happy to live at BTs home :clap:

15. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Hahaha, the joke's on you! Unless there's a transantlantic fiber optic line that goes from England, across the Atlantic, down the Eastern Seaboard, around Florida, and into the Gulf of Mexico, BT's webserver is actually in Dallas.

16 124 ms 55 ms 68 ms car1-1-v2.dllstx2.theplanet.com [12.96.160.43]
    17 69 ms 69 ms 68 ms bit-tech.net [69.41.231.162]

Feel free to steer this thread back on topic.

16. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

lol thats funny, i was talkin to my friend bout playin cs together, and he like "ull have like 180 ping!" and im like noooo... well put a server on a boat and have it trolly in the atlantic ocean :lol: :lol: :lol: