1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Paradox buys White Wolf from CCP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Oct 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Hopefully Paradox will do something with these IP's, rather than just effectively sitting on them until they find a new buyer.
    Redemption and Bloodlines are two of my favourite RPG's by a long way. They were both pretty far ahead of their time, and that showed in particular with Bloodlines, buggy as it was.

It would be a shame for that to be it for the franchise.

3. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

:eek: Paradox kept that one quiet.
    I'm a massive fan of their games and the World of Darkness franchise, so this is definitely something I'll be keeping on my radar in hopes of something great.

I wonder if they'll do a grand strategy game based on the World of Darkness universe, they adopt an equally diplomatic approach within the game worlds so it could work quite well.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Now I'm a bit confused. As far as I know White Wolf is the company behind the pen-and-paper roleplaying game, while the computer roleplaying games were developed under license from them and published by Activision. Bloodlines was developed by Troika Games, while Redemption was developed by Nihilistic Software.

How can you blame White Wolf for botched computer games with which they had no involvement, save for granting a license?

Should be added here, that I too love both games and of course have them as both retail copies and on digital distribution platforms (Steam and GOG).

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Game, singular: as far as I can recall, there were no major issues with Redemption.

The reason the games are mentioned in the article: had Bloodlines sold better, White Wolf would not have hit financial difficulties and would not have been sold to CCP. It's the direct causative agent, whether or not they typed the code themselves.

I have both retail copies - and replayed Bloodlines only recently - but haven't bothered rebuying them digitally. Bloodlines with the fan patch is awesome, isn't it?

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

What on earth is a "colon-fest"?

Is that Happy Hour at the Blue Oyster Bar?

7. Gareth Halfacree

A festival of colons: two is at least one too many to have in a title or sentence: I'm sure you agree.

8. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

That made me laugh!

On the subject matter, I would love it if this meant a renewed push for another VTM game, since I absolutely love Bloodlines. I'm currently re-playing it for about the 5th time, not played it for about 4 years, and this time I'm using the Wesp patch 9.4. Bloodlines is in my top 3 games I've ever played; I love the witty dialogue, the characters, the fun and creepy quests and the general art style of the game. The Vampire powers are fun to use, and having different powers for several different classes means lots of re-play value, although my favourites have been Malvavian and Tremere.

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Oh this is great news! I'm glad Paradox were the ones to get them. Maybe I will finally get the third Masquerade game I've been longing after.