1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Macbook pro, imac 27 5k or Build a rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flame696, 19 Oct 2015.

1. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Hi guys it been a while so need some advice.

Im looking for a setup to do some video editing. Im not lookihg to game as I have consoles and another rig for that. Its just going to be a work horse.

Ive been looking at either a macbook pro 13" base model (£999) or go full and buy an iMac 27" 5k (£1449).

Now i know i can build a rig i have some parts left over from my previous rig that i can use but i will still have to buy a CPU, RAM, MOBO, GPU and a monitor

For convenience im looking at the imac, for portability im looking at the macbook pro and for bang for buck its the self build so that is why I need your help

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It largely depends on what software you use tbh, if it's final cut or anything osx-specific - mac, yeah you could go the hackintosh route but I wouldn't...

also you're torn between convenience, portability/size and bang for buck, so... which of those if the must have, does it *have* to be portable/compact? do you need to squeeze the most out of your [unspecified] budget?...

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

15" MBP? The 13" generally has a dual core CPU whereas the 15" fits in a quad (& better gfx)

4. flame696

Well budget is £1.5k as always less is better, the reason i put the macbook pro in the mix is if i could use adobe premier with out issue and if its pretty fast then what's the point in spending the extra £449 on an imac.

Edit: isnt the 15" macbook pro due a refresh soon??

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

6. flame696

Thanks for that Saspro looks like i should hold fire on the macbook pro then, might then go for the imac

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The iMacs have literally just been refreshed and the new ones are very very nice - especially the screens (5K with wider gamut). Plus they've got Skylake CPUs and all that. The MBPs are getting long in the tooth at the moment, and the iMacs have always been a better buy in terms of price/performance.

tl;dr get an iMac

8. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

If you know someone who is a student you might be able to get a top of the range MBP 15" for £1.5k

9. flame696

I wish i knew someone who is a student but alas i have no one. Picked up the base model of the 13" macbook pro from the apple store im going to give it a whirl and see how i get on. If i dont like it i can return it or exchange it for some else

10. mikediflip

mikediflip What's a Dremel?

Hope the 13" suits you well! It can be tough at first working on such a small screen but play with your layout (if using Adobe) and you'll get use to it quickly. An additional monitor may be a good choice for when you're sitting down at a desk.

Depending on the sort of editing you'll be doing there are some real perks of doing a hackintosh rig. It's nice being able to quickly and easily upgrade hard drives and even swap out hard drives based off of the project you are working on. Multi monitors are a big plus too. I've had 3 running before allow my workflow to be a little more spread out.