1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Highest voltage for a Barton?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rav, 20 Aug 2003.

1. Rav

Rav What's a Dremel?

My XP2500 has been running quite happily at 11*200 for the last few weeks, so i decided it was time to take it a little further and up the multiplier to 11.5. Cut a long story short, i had to increase the CPU voltage from 1.675 to 1.825 just to be stable enough to run tests. It got to windows at 1.725, but soon blue screened on me.

Is this normal/safe? Pending stability i'm going to try an increase the system clock next...

2. ricjax99

ricjax99 What's a Dremel?

Hi :) , as a general rule I won't go over 1.875v on air cooling.

I use fairly good cooling tho ie. HHC-001 (Coolermaster) & 80mm Tt Smartfan II 5x case fans and a dual fan PSU. Temps when looping 3Dmark 2K1 @1.875v reach a max of 48C.

Also note that some high V-Cores don't like high CPU temps ie. 1.875v/1.93v over 50C seems to cause probs with some ppls systems. Take a look at what temps you hit at the moment if they are over 50C under load, ask yourself whether the higher V-Core will give you a worthwhile CPU boost. For me 1.93v would prolly get me to 2.5GHz but considering 2.46GHz is possible on 1.825v the extra MHz doesn't justify the increase in temps and stability.

Some indication of what cooling ur using will help greatly ;)

EDIT -- You may also want to start trying different FSB/multiplier combinations (i assume your adjusting the multi alone). As an example 200FSB x 10 (2GHz) would give better performance than say 166x13 (2.15GHz) in most games due to the increased bandwidth this is of course whether you RAM/mobo is capable of higher FSB's and whether your board has a PCI lock to avoid HDD corruption and bad stability. Also don't sacrifice too much CPU speed for a little increase in fSB ie. If you have to lose 100MHz CPU speed to gain 2~3MHz FSB speed don't do it :D.

I generally run 225FSB x 10 with the CPU volts stock (1.6v) it's prime stable and doesn't kick me out of games and with lower temps I can slow the fans down quieter and the case doesn't hover 4ft from the ground :lol:

Let us know what mobo/ram ur using m8

Last edited: 20 Aug 2003
  3. Rav

Rav What's a Dremel?

A7N8X Rev 2
    Corsair XMS 3200
    Coolermaster Aero 7+

I've yet to see the temps reported by MBM go above 45C, even at full load. Right now it's idling at 43 with all my fans turned down, with them flat out it will idle at 3X degrees, depending on air temps.

The FSB is the next step i think, assuming of course this ram will cope with it. Even if it doesn't a 474MHz overclock is pretty respectable for a £70 CPU :)

4. ricjax99

Yeah the A7N8X Rev2 great board generally but not aimed at the overclocker enough for my liking. But you tend to find those boards hit 200~220MHz FSb without V-mods which is Ok. I'd keep the CPU at a moderate level and go for more FSB if its topping out at 2.3GHz with 1.825v then 2.45MHz ish will need 1.875 i reckon (and temps shoot up set at this mine go from 40~42C @2250MHz 1.6v to 46~48C) try more FSB. Drop the multi to 10x and up the FSB bit by bit up the Chipset volts to 1.6/1.7v and raise the ram (VCC) to 2.9v also check the ram timings they loosen up a bit on higher FSB if set to speed and Corsair doesn't seem like loose timings if thats XMS3200C2 2-3-3-6 will be about right 2-2-2-6 would be sweet if it could do it. :D

Also if it fails to post try upping the AGP voltage to 1.6v/1.7v as my AGP transfer gets screwed at high FSB's for some reason :eyebrow:

5. Rav

Rav What's a Dremel?

Hehe, i've still got lots more voltage options available (on the memory, AGP etc), i just wanted to make sure that the chip wasn't going to burn out in a few weeks ;)

Also, what is the best/default AGP frequency? Mine was on Auto and a few probs, so i locked it to 66mhz and things seem smoother. I *think* that was the default, but i can't remember where i read it :duh:

6. ricjax99

For agp frequency it depends whether you have an ATI or nVidia card Nv's don't mind high freq mine runs 99MHz no probs ATi's tend to complain at anything above 75MHz whatever the volts. Upping the AGP volts will help increase the Freq on nV cards this helped me get a higher FSB OC' odd but true. :naughty:

-- :duh: doh! sorry the default AGP freq is 66MHz lol

7. Rav

Rav What's a Dremel?

Well, it didn't like 205 on the system clock, failed the memory test miserably and needed a CMOS reset :grr: It may need some more juice through the memory, as that was at stock voltage.

Also ran Prime95 and found that i had to come down to 10.5*200 to get it stable, so there's more experimentation needed methinks. Although prime was the *only* thing that has so far fecked it up, so i might just chance it.

It's idling at 33C @ 10.5*200 for now, but i may try again tomorrow :D

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Isn't 11*200 a little low for a 2500 barton? Thought the multiplier would still work higher than that; i acn boot this 2000 at 11.5*200 with about 1.85 volts... Doesn't soft boot at that speed though, which sucks rather a lot having to hard boot it every BIOS tweak...

9. Rav

Rav What's a Dremel?

Like i said, it was running 11.5*200 stable, in everything *except* Prime. It might just like more volts, i don't know.

10. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Yeah, up the Vdimm to 2.9V - a lot of memory will "burn in" at that voltage so after a while it will run even faster...you should be OK up to about 1.9V Vcore, I use the cpu temperature as a guide as to when I should stop overvolting my proc. Does the motherboard do VDD in the BIOS? It's definitely a good idea to get that up if possible, that's the thing that most holds back raising the FSB.

ricjax99 - nice overclocking! I would respect your advice on quite a lot of things with a sig like that ;)

11. Rav

Rav What's a Dremel?

It'll only go up to 1.85 Vcore with this BIOS, and 2.9 on the RAM. I'm not sure if a different BIOS will allow higher volts, i havn't looked into it ... yet ;)

12. ricjax99

Heres a link to my thread on achieving OC's like that hope that helps. Most importantly I found increasing the AGP voltage helped a lot as the AGP runs through the chipset which increased stability in high FSB's

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?threadid=38597