1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: P1 |Update: 26/11| |Poor English thread| By: Gramps

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Gramps-Makarov, 22 Sep 2015.

1. Gramps-Makarov

Gramps-Makarov What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone and welcome to Project: P1 , here's a little presentation of my first projects of a more serious modding.

Intro:
    Now it was time for me to get a project started after many years of computer construction. On previous computers builti have follow color scheme and added some extra fan holders in cases.
    But now it's time for me to start my first real project after I found an incredibly beautiful case, but that is not built for my goals (high end components).
    The computer will be used from everything to movie streaming to heavier games.

Hardware: [Uncertain]
    Chassis: Cooltek UMX1
    Motherboard:?
    CPU?
    GPU?
    RAM?
    PSU?
    SSD / HDD?
    Cooling:?

But now we will start:
    Some pictures of the case
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dismantling
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you see there's only room for one 120mm fan on top and one 80mm which will not work for my plans of components, so now is the time to solve this problem and make the case ready for three 120mm and go down from Atx Psu to a SFX Psu.
    This will be done to get more space in the case for sleeved cables and two SSD's.

Fitting in the bottom for two additional 120mm fans:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New installation for SFX PSU
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How do I get straight neat edges
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since i need to bend the edges but has no tools for it i slippar first straight track, then I just take a piece of wood and then tap the hammer to the wood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, this was really all I had right now.
    Updates will vary in time depending on the amount of work i have and the money that will come in.

Sincerely
    Gramps

Last edited: 26 Nov 2015
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

A promising start.:D

3. Gramps-Makarov

Thanks, this project will be a good training for me to be creativ and crafting.

//Gramps

4. Gramps-Makarov

Just thought I announce that yesterday I dreamed about how I could solve a different type of PSu holder, never thought it would work as in the dream i hade last night.
    But after a while measured and sketched i did come up with a completely new solution to tie together PSU, wiring and SSD in one.
    It is a level that I'm not sure if I have the skills for but i can only try and fight to the works, even if it takes me 10 times to get i right.

//Gramps

5. Gramps-Makarov

Hey everyone,

Yester day i did try one design that i hade been dreaming of and that didnt work out to well.
    I today arranged a new design that works, but I thought for a change show of my first idea which unfortunately did not go all the way and my bedroom computer now disassembled every other day to see if everything fits.

Bedroom computer is completely silent and work really well to the surf, movies and streaming. The computer is an AMD 6300 6C 4.2 @, Asus PCI Express WiFi, 8GB of RAM and Adata 256GB SSD.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now back to the project, but time for certain what happens when one does not think of everything in advance:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here the problems began for me,
    [​IMG]

After this, I tried to fix it with epoxy glue:
    [​IMG]

Here is the little box I had thought to hide the cables in and have a SSD on the outside:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everything ready, I thought, and was really happy but when I got it into the case I realized that the little box would not work due to the sound, USB and Power button:

Put me back at the drawing board and started completely over from the start today and now has received little done:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Put the L-profiles to later write the fixed lower part of PSU, SSD and cable concealer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also fixed my fan grill.
    It started when I saw my trash basket under my computer bench that had really nice patterns and fit for the second layer,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was the result:
    [​IMG]

This was everything I had for the day, will return as soon as I have something new to some up for you.

Sincerely
    Gramps

6. Gramps-Makarov

Hey all!

As you probably notice this is not a project in any rocket speed.
    I'm working right now to do a project that I will be proud of and that is easy to assemble and take down to later in time to replace parts and update the hardware.

I am constantly learning things that I had not previously thought of when I started to design the projects parts, but that's just to smile and remake it.
    But there are always positive things when you have to remake part and that is that you become a little safer on the hand and it usually ends in a more stylish and easier assembly of the parts.

Now for some pictures so you can see what has been done for the third time and this time I feel satisfied with the result.
    Here is my ( Third :wallbash: :dremel: ) new PSU cover and the case are reassembled with fan grill and some random fan to see the results of the fan grill in the case:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the SSD mountnig for this project. (Will buy a new larger SSD to be used as storage, it will get modded in a way that fits in with the project)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now you know the project has not died anyway :clap::rock:
    I simultaneously right now searching out some hardware that I will need in the future.
    If you have any tips on a good SFX-PSU or mITX motherboard for intel 1151 so are you welcome to hell me and a leave a short opinion why.

This was all from me and I will see you all later:dremel:.
    // Gramps

7. Gramps-Makarov

Update: 2015.11.26

Hey all :clap::dremel:

This week i had some free time from the wife. This did give me the time to work with my project and I do not have to clean up every day for me when I have my small workshop in the living room and splashing aluminum dust and shavings everywhere.

Unfortunately had the misfortune. My trusty dremel died in the beginning of the week :waah: so i been working with the jigsaw and feinen instead, which meant that it took a little more time for certain things.

Also began the week to go out and buy some parts for the project, it became a 600watt gold SFX PSU from Silverstone and three EK-fans that I hope to be as good as my old faithful Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm.
    [​IMG]

Began to pick up my new PSU to measure and to make a regular PSU holder to an SFX Size:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I realized then that I had to fix the top side of the cover plate for PSUN so hot air can escape to the fan in the top,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will use the same mesh as I have at the fan grill so it is not a hole through to the
    PSU but it will be later in the project.

I have also tried to put a little color on my fan guard that I'm very happy with, and that for many years I wanted to use in a project and thought now that it suits to get some bling and put your own style on the project:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The fans frames will be painted black so it does not stick out so much and to hold down the white color a little bit.
    Also made my SSD holder, only two L-profiles and i lowered the SSD down in line with the aluminum.
    [​IMG]

This was everything that I have had time for this week, but I hope to get a little more time soon.

I also wonder if there's someone knowledgeable who have tips on how I can fill in the gaps where the SSD should sit, I want it to be a so tight fit as possible. :lol:

// Gramps