1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Ultimate Man Cave PC - A Lifesized R2-D2 HTPC and Arcade machine

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by d33g33, 22 Feb 2015.

1. d33g33

d33g33 What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

So I have a very good friend who is turning 30 this year and I really wanted to go all out.

He's quick tech savvy like myself and has a pretty good setup in his shed but I think he needs an upgrade, he is also a huge Star Wars fan so, I figure what better than building a 1:1 ratio R2-D2, and throw a couple of PC's in it?

Now the hardware wont be special, most likely at this stage a couple of RaspBerryPi 2's 1x running XBMC the second running RetroPie or something similar. I am hoping, I can put a projector into the head to project out of the 'radar eye' for a complete solution.

First things first was to get some parts so I had a heap of parts CNC'd for me that make up the majority of the main torso and the legs plus some small detail parts as well. The wood is MDF and the white that looks like paper is 1mm PVC, it looks tattered but its just the protective paper on both sides of the PVC to protect it, the cuts are quite clean.

I have labeled this build, aRcade-D2
    [​IMG]

Alright guys so here's what I have so far.

A whole heap of parts that make up a large part of the body and legs, man, there's a LOT of parts and a LOT or work to get done here...

So ill try describe what we have here;

-Top left is the rings that make up the tubular body, just to the right and down from them is the vertical frame that they all slot into. The box at the far right top is cut PVC plastic sheet for detailing the build.
    -Below the rings are the 2 main legs of R2-D2, the white pieces are should details.
    -The large trapezoid shapes are for the feet for the main legs, the smaller ones to the right are for the front.
    -Most of the rest are detailing pieces like the rocket packs for the rear seat and other key features.
    -The big white sheet looks like paper but its just paper protecting 1mm sheet of PVC plastic that will wrap around the tube frame and make up the main body of R2-D2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rings for the body are 450mm in diameter for reference
    [​IMG]

Shoulder Details
    [​IMG]

PCV Sheet that makes up the main body and the iconic R2-D2 arm cutouts
    [​IMG]

Laid over the PVC on a foot piece for reference of the detailing that it will create
    [​IMG]

Its washed out as hell but some more PVC detailing pieces laid on top of the main body piece of PVC
    [​IMG]

Well, that's all I have for you now. Hopefully I'll mock up some pieces tomorrow so its more visually pleasing but then I have to glue and seal all this MDF for paint!

I also have to pick up the dome for the head and order some fine detail pieces in from the USA.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I will!

2. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

This is an excellent, excellent present :D

3. d33g33

d33g33 What's a Dremel?

Very small update for you.

I managed to get my hands on a 3D printer for a while, this is awesome news as it will save me A LOT of money in getting some parts. Some I cant find models for but for a lot I can, this should save me $200+ dollars!

These are the first parts off the printer, ill fill and sand them smooth. These 2 parts combined are the "Front Logic Displays" for R2-D2 and together printed in 1.5hours.

I think the printer will be running for about 7 days, 12 hours a day to get all the parts printed.

Enjoy :)

[​IMG]

4. d33g33

d33g33 What's a Dremel?

MOAR Parts :)

There's about 16 hours of print time in this :S

[​IMG]

5. Lightheart

Lightheart What's a Dremel?

All the parts!

Subbed, I'm looking forward to seeing this come together, heck, I'm jealous of you just getting to assemble an R2-D2!

6. d33g33

d33g33 What's a Dremel?

Thanks man, 3D printing is a real challenge, im having a lot of unsuccessful prints which is frustrating, but, i'll persist.

7. bladecs_04

bladecs_04 What's a Dremel?

have you got any updates on this? just noticed it again in my subs list.