A/V In-wall speakers for all-in-one desk case?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thegreywizard, 7 Dec 2015.

1. thegreywizard

thegreywizard What's a Dremel?

So I'm buiding a custom desk case and looking for a seamless, "all-in-one" unit and do not want external speakers of any kind, or anything on the actual desktop itself, except for maybe 3 Dell sound bars on a 3 monitors.

But from what I've been told is that I can only run 1 USB sound bar, so this kind of eliminates this idea and the quality isn't the best.

So here's my idea:

I'm not looking to perfect concert quality sound, or to produce music, just hoping for good quality sound to listen to music while I surf. So I don't need a home theater type setup/quality or to be completely blown away and I'm also not an audiophile, just enjoy listening to music and would like reasonably priced, quality sound.

Couldn't a couple of 4x6 flush mount speakers on either side of me produce plenty of quality sound for what I'm looking for them to do?

I would imagine this would be better sound quality compared to the Dell sound bars right?

Maybe something like this, but in a horizontal position (I assume there's no problem running them like that?) one on either side of me:

http://www.htd.com/Products/multi-pu...-wall-speakers

Can those kind of speakers even be run off of a sound card, or is an amp needed? Which I would prefer to NOT have to have an amp and have the sound card be all I need.

I should mention I've been rocking a single, old Dell sound bar for years now so this double in-wall speaker setup would be a HUGE improvement without breaking the bank since I don't require the absolute top end sound possible, but still want to get quality sound.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2015
  2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Links coming in broken. I'd expect wall mount speakers to need the use of an amp though.

3. thegreywizard

Sorry, I'll try again:

http://www.htd.com/Products/multi-purpose/MP-W50-in-wall-speakers

That's the kind of speaker I want to use, not necessarily the brand.

But yes from further research I am going to need an amp to use those kind of speakers, which isn't a problem.

I might as well go the amp & speaker route since I have the room and will get better quality sound in the end.

Since I'm doing a desk case, I think I'm actually going to cut a bay drive out for the amp so it's incorporated into the case, looks neat & clean & is functional.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I need/want an amp with DAC built in, from the description of what it does, I believe I do right?:?

a built-in digital-to-analog converter (DAC). This feature makes these models particularly useful as part of a computer-based audio system, or when paired other digital components such as Apple’s AirPort Express, as the DAC extracts the source’s digital audio signal—avoiding the source’s electrically noisy internal components—and uses higher-quality circuitry to convert this signal to an analog signal that the amplifier can send to the speakers.

Or does a video card take place/do this DAC for the system and therefore I only need to worry about a regular mini-amp for a computer setup?

Wanting to do a desk case, as many are familiar with here, but here's a pic of a quick photoshop I did on a desk case to give you an idea of where I'm trying to place these in-wall speakers(the white squarish blobs are supposed to be speakers :D ):

[​IMG]

Someone else has mentioned that the entire desk would be open air for the speaker & that these type of speakers are going to require some type of enclosure to sound proper since they're being installed in a desk case with such a large space.

Can anyone confirm or deny this or suggest the type of material & size of the enclosure an in-wall speaker would need built around it? I am thinking of using carbon fiber to help add some nice looks to the case for other things, so would like to also use that type of material for this part also, do you guys think that carbon fiber would work well for this application?

And any suggestions on which specific amp to use and cut into the outside of my case like you would a bay drive & also a specific set of speakers no bigger that the 5.25" ones I linked to, if not smaller?

For one withOUT a DAC, this two have been suggested:

http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-2020...=8-1&keywords=lepai+lp-2020a&tag=hardfocom-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...liid=I1YNVCNZ7Q7PR0&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

For one WITH a DAC this seems to be a good option:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oliid=I11G68IOLB69PW&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

Thoughts & suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2015
  4. asura

asura jack of all trades

It all depends on how good you want it to sound - speaker cabinet design is not a dark art, but what you've got there will do nothing to enhance the sound. It'll be car stereo-esque which is fine for out and about in a car where there's engine/transmission/road noise to disrupt the acoustic landscape. The quieter and more acoustically neutral your space is, the more the shortcomings of just wanging a couple of speakers into a case will become apparent.

Carbon fibre as traditionally used will be pants for this application, 18mm MDF would be good, 15mm HDF would be better - it is possible (though I have no idea) that a mass of carbon fibre thick enough will work, but again I'd guess you're looking at the 15-20mm range to provide a rigid enclosure. How much would that much carbon fibre set you back? would it be better to clad some MDF/HDF?

Their placement where illustrated will also detract the quality of sound you'll get, the "spread" of the optimum sound varies from speaker to speaker, but if for arguments sake we call it a ninety degree cone from the centre of the driver having them on either side of you like that, will put the optimum listening position something like five-hundred to a thousand millimetres behind you.

Making a desk as you are, and as speaker placement seems to be of little real importance to you, have you considered making the legs the speaker cabinets? You could comfortably fit three mid range drivers and a tweeter in a desk height cabinet. Or with some careful angling of the units, inwards and upwards, you could actually focus the sound at your listening position for a couple of mids and a tweet...

5. thegreywizard

Hmm. I don't know how I want to proceed now after reading your last post, which in terms of music & sound quality I'm sure makes a lot of sense.

My main issues are keeping my desk top as clutter free as possible and since I'll be having 3 monitors, there won't be any room on the left or right of the desktop to fit any type of normal tower speakers.

Perhaps a longer, high quality sound bar that can sit on the back part of the desktop, but under the monitors, keep my deskspace as open as possible, yet giving me better sound.

perhaps like a 3-4' long sound bar, if there is one that is short enough, say maybe 3-4" (around the thickness of a normal bose speaker?) and not too deep that it would fit in the area I'm thinking of and not protrude too far out onto my desk space?

6. thegreywizard

Maybe something like this to go under the monitors:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Speaker+Bar

Not that exact one, but along those same lines. Long & as short as possible. It will be a 60" desk so I can easily run a 3-4' speaker under all of the monitors, keeping my clean and clutter free setup and giving me high quality should with better performance than putting in-wall speakers in the case itself.

What do you guys think, perhaps a longer speaker bar like that is the best option for my requirements?