Electronics Wierd LCD Problem

Discussion in 'Modding' started by vailripper, 21 Aug 2003.

1. vailripper

vailripper What's a Dremel?

I am using a standard hd44780 4x20 display. When I first hooked it up to my parallel port it worked fine when running crystalcontrol. Then I tried adding a pot to it, that didn't work, so I went back the the basic wiring scheme. My problem is, only the top left 2x8 pixels show characters now. Anyone know what I should do?

2. chopsuwe

chopsuwe What's a Dremel?

That sounds about right. They normally do that untill they are initialised and sent data. If you run it with the contrast pot turn the pot up untill those pixels are just lit to start with then once you can see it displaying something adjust it to suit.

3. vailripper

The Problem is when I start up my comp it does the initialize screen (with the top and third row totally filled) but then when I run this Crystal Control program it doesnt use any other spaces besides the top left 8 columns x 2 Rows. Maybe I should just resolder the darn thing?

4. viridius

viridius What's a Dremel?

Perhaps Crystal Control thinks you are running an 8X2 display.

5. chopsuwe

chopsuwe What's a Dremel?

That is the most likley. If it was a solder problem it would not be working as well as it is or act as if it was a 2x20, I think.

6. vailripper

I checked all of the settings and tried several other programs and I get the same thing. So I have decided to just get another one (only 10 bucks) and just redo the darn thing. :wallbash: