1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows "refurbished" Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Uncle Psychosis, 29 Dec 2015.

1. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Hi guys

I'm still running Vista (well, I dual boot with Linux) and I think its time to move to a more modern version of Windows.

If I buy a "refurbished" copy of Win 7 is this legit and will it give me a fully legal version that I can use again and again if needs be? The licensing situation seems so confused.

I'm looking at this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Pro..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1NNVQ605V0AAXN573D8Z

And its considerably cheaper than shelling out for the full version of Win10 for example.

Also, am I right in thinking that I can now install Windows 10 directly: just create a Win10 boot disk and then use a Win7 key without having to actually install Win7?

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

To get Win 10 for free requires you to go through the update process once and then never again if you don't change your hardware. You can't use a 7 key to activate 10 unfortunately.

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I thought I heard something about that with the latest win10 build, but it might be 8/8.1 only.

In any event, this looks like an OEM system builder dumping their old win7 licenses that they were probably hoarding due to win8 sucking. I'd jump on this, immediately upgrade to 10 and report back if you were successful.

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Not quite accurate anymore. With the newest Insider build you can activate 10 with a 7 or above key. You just need build version 1511 (or newer presumably).

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Ooh, awesome! I had no idea. Thanks for the update. :D

6. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Yeah it makes life 9000 times easier. Sometimes (as is usual with activation) it goes a bit haywire and you have to ring up but it's usually a painless few minutes.

7. Uncle Psychosis

Thanks guys.

Any advice on the legal status of the refurbished licenses?

8. wufer

wufer What's a Dremel?

Not sure on the "legal" side of things, but i get 'all' my windows second hand off e-bay.
    Ive had no bother activating them, and i have just upgraded from windows 7, to 10.
    Activated no bother and i can get updates.

9. Uncle Psychosis

Thanks.

I reckon I'll go for it, if it doesn't work then Amazon will refund me I'm sure.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

its a Microsoft Authorised Refurbisher License, and is not meant to be sold as it is on amazon.

they are designed for refurbishers who are refurbing machinces on mass. they are not meant to be sold to end users in this manner

Last edited: 31 Dec 2015