Graphics R9 290 dead?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by phuzz, 30 Dec 2015.

1. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

So, I've had an AMD R9 290 (not X) running watercooled for just over two years now and it's been just fine.
    Last night I turned my PC off like normal, today I've just been trying to fire it back up, but I just get a black screen. Both monitors initialise (ie they recognise that they're plugged into something), but no display.
    I've tried removing and reseating the card, and double checking the power connectors but no luck.
    If I remove the card then I can use the onboard graphics, so I know ever other component is ok (and more importantly, I can come here and write this).

So, my question is, does it sound like my card is dead? Does anyone have any tricks I might not have tried yet?
    Does anyone have a R9 290 (or a 290X) they want to sell? I've got this waterblock so I might as well use it.

2. Dayaccus

Dayaccus What's a Dremel?

If it's working with the onboard graphic card than it's looking like your dedicated one is dead. One thing you can try is to change the output port you are connecting it to the monitor and see if it's working. To be 100% is dead, try to test it in another pc, a friend's pc maybe, if you don't have another one at home.

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Sounds like it may be dead as you suspect. I would keep on trying to get it to boot - reseat it in the socket, make sure the power connections are secure.

If none of that works after several goes, then it sounds like it's dead! :(

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Is it out of warranty now?

5. Dayaccus

Dayaccus What's a Dremel?

You can try a professional reflow if you know somebody who does that or you can try to fix it yourself after you know for sure it's dead. First of all you need a heatgun and some aluminum foil To do this you have to take off the heatsink and the fans and clean the card very well of dust and remove the thermal grease. Than wrap all the card in aluminum foil(a few layers) so all the components on the PCB are protected except the GPU. Than set the heatgun to ~350 degrees and heat the chip for 5 min from 5 cm height. If you don't have warranty anymore than you have nothing to lose and is worth a shot at this as some cards start working with this method.

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I tried reseating it and removing it, and the power connectors, and with just one monitor etc, so it's nothing easy.
    The card it two years old now, and I removed the fan and heat sink to water cool it the day it arrived, so I doubt I'll get a refund.
    I did install the new AMD drivers a few days before it died, and there has been reports of those drivers killing cards, but all the reports I've read point to fan speeds being set low, which isn't a problem with a watercooled card.
    Currently I'm trying to pick up a second hand 290 on fleabay, but I might try reflowing the solder, can't break the card any more than it already is.