1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Useful parts in a floppy drive

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bard, 23 Aug 2003.

1. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I have opened up a floppy drive, and I see it contains quite a few useful parts, which I hope you can help me utilize.

Stepper motor
    I need a controller for this, right?
    There are four wires coming from the motor to the ciruit board. And from there they go to a chip on which is printed: "LB1838 4J2". There are also two other chips on this board: "Mitsumi NCL016 441 194" and "Mitsumi NCL017 439 G15K", but I assume these have noting to do with the stepper motor.

Hall sensor?
    There is a large spinning "wheel" on the drive, which has a little, black magnet on the end. The magnet runs over a little chip once every revolution of the wheel. The chip says "450 WJ4". Is this a magnetic sensor, which changes conductivity when in proximity of a magnet? It has three connection points as I can see. How do I use this?

There are also something that looks like two small microswitches on each side of the drive (front).

Last edited: 23 Aug 2003
  2. Darkangel

Darkangel What's a Dremel?

if u were nit pickin u could also salvage the power connector from it and put it onto something requirin the same power, which could be directly powered by the psu
    perhaps?

3. bard

Yeah, I've allready planned a little something to use the power connector on.

4. kiwi-x

kiwi-x What's a Dremel?

here a great link that shows a use for the entire floppy drive

linkie

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

ach! damn! now you mad me start on a new project... :grr: :D

i think i'm goint to rip ot the controller ic (a nice chip in the floppy i took apart) and build a new controllersystem for it...

6. bard

Hmmm... I'm not exactly planning to build a robot, though.
    Does anyone have a datasheet for the controlling of the stepper motor? I could use some help on that.

7. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

8. bard

9. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Hmm, this IC is basically a latch and a flip-flop for each channel. Anyway...

The motor is controlled using two inputs (Enable and Input). Enable determines whether or not the motor actually moves (important note: it appears as though it's designed for motors with dedicated positive and negative terminals w/ 2 inputs to control direction). A HIGH means that the motor spins, while a LOW (HIGH has to be above +2v) turns off the control outputs (1,2 for channel 1, 3,4 for channel 2), so the motor doesn't move. Input determines which direction the motor spins. HIGH moves it forward, while LOW spins it in reverse.

That's probably all you need to know unless you're designing something to sell, which, for some reason, I doubt.

10. bard

"For some reason" :D
    Thanks for the info, man!

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

that thing looks a bit hard to controll... does it spin the motor constantly or one step at a time?

the controller ic i found is quite different... it had one pin for direction, one for half/full step and one for CLK.... (and some more of course9