TVs New TV recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sketchee, 3 Jan 2016.

1. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

So I'm in the market for a new TV to start the year off right. It's to go in the front room, looking at displays up to 50" and with a max budget of around £500. I'm a bit out of the loop with what's good and what's not - i.e. how viable is 4K, OLED etc...

What can you recommend good people?

2. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

As far as oled goes your looking at £1600 for a 1080p (curved screen only) set and £2500 for a 4K One. Lg seems to be the only real player in oled town at the moment.

Saying that ces is soon (next week) so we may get new sets. I think Panasonic are also doing oled, but nothing for the likes of us that I've found, hopefully that will change!

I was looking for a new tv but after seeing an oled display area decided my old set will just have to do until oled is more affordable otherwise I'll regret it.

3. Sketchee

Ah well that's well outta my price range anyway. The only TV i have at the moment is a pretty naff 23" samsung. I've only just now got to a position where I can afford and have the space for a decent sized screen. I would be pretty happy with just a full HD display with smart functionality thrown in - this panasonic is turning up good reviews and looks pretty tempting for my budget. Anyone got any experience or alternative suggestions?

4. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I've always liked the Pannys so I'm biased, but I'd be happy with the one in your link.

Just for comparison, I bagged a Philips 50" 4K just before Christmas for around £500, which has reasonable reviews. I haven't actually watched it yet as I was away for the holidays and and will be moving house in a couple of weeks. I'm moving up from an old (and 2nd hand) Acoustic Solutions 720 resolution 32" panel, so I'd imagine it will be vastly better than what I'm used to. I won't be watching 4K content any time soon, but as I'll be keeping it for a while, it's good to have.

I can let you know my initial impression and the model once I connect it up to test it.

I find Trusted Reviews (the ex-sister site of Bit-Tech) and AVforums to be decent on recommending TVs.

5. Sketchee

Yea I've always liked panasonics when I've seen them. Sure let me know your impressions of the phillips when you can, I'll hopefully be heading to a few places to look at some TV's this weekend too.

I've also taken a look at the following two:

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-49lf630...-with-freeview-hd-and-built-in-wi-fi/p1915571

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue...-with-freeview-hd-and-built-in-wi-fi/p1939960

They all really fit the requirements, so is it really worth the extra £70 for the panny? My dad's got a similar but older LG which looks pretty smart and I've seen plenty of samsungs and not noticed anything wrong with em.

6. Sketchee

Bump for any further input / suggestions

7. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

I have been looking for a new tv too.

Just wondered if you decided on any of them?

Going to look at a 49" 4k screen tomorrow that's £500 and thought I would see if you had taken the plunge.

As my current one is about 9 years old and wondered if the UHD ones were worth getting over a FHD one as I would probably be looking to keep it for the same amount of time.

8. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

That was my reasoning for getting a 4k. Unlike 3D, I don't think 4k will fade away.

I finally managed to get my new set up and running after my house move - it's a Philips 50PUT6400.

My first impressions were great with the picture, SD seemed much more realistic with more detail than my old set could manage. This was through the aerial co-ax since I didn't have my broadband at first. Unfortunately the sound was well ahead of the picture, and even after manually adjusting it, there was still some sync issues.

After my broadband was installed and I was able to use HDMI through my box, the syncing issue went away and I'm generally happy with it.

There is one thing I've noticed which seems to be around the dimming - which sometimes has a split second delay when going from a bright picture to a much darker one or vice versa. I may have to play around with the settings to be completely happy with it (it sometimes seems a little too bight for instance), but for the £500 I got it for, I would still recomment it.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As a new build is probably wasted money at the moment I am turning my attention to a new TV. I'm a Samsung man myself, not sure about 4K given the lack of content and 3D is a waste so interested myself in this thread.

10. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Bought a Sony 55" 4k about a month ago for just under 1k and very impressed... Seven oaks sound and vision. Will sort out the model number for you when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I picked up a Sony 55" 4K round Christmas - the KD-55X8005C to be exact - and I'm pretty happy with it in terms of excellent picture quality/colours and the like. They have a 49"er for £600.

12. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Having just been given a smart TV I'd go for the best panel you can get. The 'SMART' functionality can be added using little set-top boxes such as:

Chromecast
    Amazon Fire TV
    Roku
    Apple TV

Depending on what content/extra channels you want. I invested in the HUMAX 1100S 1TB and it has been amazing! Covers all the catch up TV you could want and adds in several new channels on top. The best part is being able to go back in time and watch things that we on several days ago.