1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Broadband contract about to end, stay or go?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 6 Jan 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Currently on Plusnet Unlimited up to 38Mbs get around 35 and pay with phone around £35 a month. But I see Talk Talk and Virgin have decent offers on at the moment. Not keen on Talk Talk given their security history and overall customer service and do not know much about Virgin.

Not being one of the idle rich Ian Duncan Smith hates to much I am always looking to save money so any advice welcome, of course it maybe that Plusnet will come back with an offer when I request MAC?

2. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

4. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Avoid Talktalk like the plague!
    I don't care about their security issues, though those too should be noted.

We were with them for 2 years when I lived with my inlaws. Advertised as 20mbps, regularly got dial-up speeds even outside peak hours. They are awful, their customer service is awful, and unless you threaten them with legal action, they won't do anything for you if you have a problem with their service.

In apposition, Virgin have been fantastic. 'Free' speed upgrades, allowing us to downsize our package so we kept the original speed, at a lesser cost to our monthly bill, reliability has been pretty rock solid. I'd say advertised speed 99% of the time, only dropping down when there's a problem with the line.
    Even if there is something wrong, their website gives you a good estimate of when it'll be fixed etc etc.

I could suck on Virgin's youknowwhat some more, but I've not got a bad word to say about them.

5. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

Virgin offering better value for money and plusnet in my area having problems/being over subscribed recently, going from 76mb to around 60mb.

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Staying with Plusnet as they pretty much matched the best offers going. and speed is steady at 35Mbs so will stay where I am. I do wish that they did not think we were all idiots as he tried to tell me that fibre too the cabinet was the best fibre, I pointed out that surely fibre to the home was better and he quickly back tracked.

So a quick free phone call is all it takes to get a better deal.

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Always good when you can get your prices down a bit and not have to mess about with switching to someone else. :)

It never hurts to call up your providers for any service to ask about any deals that can be applied to your account.
    I tend to give BT a call every 8-10 months to wrangle a flat discount or a few months of free line rental.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Touch wood switch overs have always gone smoothly in the main but as you say not having to do it is the better option.

9. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

As quite a few providers release a new router model each year, if you use the one they provide then it's sometimes worth asking if they can throw in a free upgrade to the latest model as part of the deal.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Did not think of that. Will get back to them. Thanks for the heads up.

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

You are paying £35 a month, but Sky are offering half price for the first 12 months on unlimited so that would be £27.40 per month (£10 Fibre, and £17.40 Line Rental).

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I was paying £35 a month I am now paying £25 a month.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2016
  13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Good work, just goes to show the value of a quick phone call.

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

We started on 70mb fibre and then when the contract ended we got a great deal on 40mb. Plusnet are pretty darn good really.

15. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Don't forget to check TopCashBack for deals to move.

Just moved my Mum back to BT and she got £120 cashback just for broadband and phone!

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have not had a lot of success with cashback so tend not to bother. Anyway as I am staying where I am it did not figure.

17. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Adblockers and other cookies break TopCashBack but I am sitting on £90 just from car and home insurance, my annual car service, and a couple of hotel stays I clicked through. All stuff I was going to do but worked for me. I tend to find the deal I want using Chrome or Firefox and then open IE which I keep "clean" and just click through if it is any good.

There are Sky existing customer upgrades on TCB so maybe worth checking in case your ISP is there.

18. JoeK

JoeK Minimodder

I wish there were more options away from BT unforetunately talktalk is dead in the water and is probably only a matter of time until they declare themselves bankrupt. Virgin is hit & miss as they dont have the infrastructure of BT.

Stay with plusnet, I doint know if they have retentions offers, I hear from a USA forum that ISPs and mobile phone companies tend to give great deals if someone phones in to request transfer code. But apparantly these days a MAC code isn't even required^^

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Had a phone call from a very cheeky rep from Virgin who really should get his people skills sorted or change his profession.
    He reliable informed me that as I stayed in a first floor flat then there would be issues getting permission to run a cable up to my flat as virgin would need permission. I explained this was not necessary as though would not be a problem anyway, as we had communal conduit for BT and Broadband cabling ETC. But he was not having this.

Anyway I said that I was looking for a price per month not anything else and he replied could not really give me one. At which point I told him where to put his broadband.

20. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I move as often as a can - slight change in contract and I'm outta there, you can always get at least £100 cash-back for even a basic broadband deals.

My current sky BB package actually pays me at the moment! (£100 cash-back, £50 credit on first bill and £100 M&S voucher on a FREE broadband deal where I just pay for the line at £16.40 a month for 12 months).

I also bank account hop (made £800 this year from switching offers - there's a guide on moneysavingexpert), and regularly change my energy supplier through cash-back sites (you get about £50 every time you switch and there's loads of supplier that have no minimum term or exit fees - some do though, so be careful).