1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thermal pad or paste?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carbon, 31 Aug 2003.

?

Paste or pad?

1. Thermal Paste

44 vote(s)
    93.6%
  2. Thermal Pad

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. Carbon

Carbon Banned

which do you reccomend, im using artic silver currently but ive noticed that the paste does dissapear after a short preiod of time and since im buying a swifty i dont really want to remove it all the time to replace it. would a thermal pad be better as : This : video from AMD recons that the pad is better.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

paste disappears???????
    i have used the same paste and heatsink without reapplying for years at a time im sure on some comuters (not the main one mind you, always fiddling :thumb: ) and i have never noticed any change in temp over time

id go for paste any day

3. Carbon

Carbon Banned

hmmm, how can i explain it, maybe its because i might have stuck too much paste on or just dont remember how much ive put on :eeek: so it seems like its disapeared..... /me checks himself in for head exam

4. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Pate for me please, with a side order of garlic bread, salad with caesar dressing.....

I first read paste as pate and had to do a double take, man its late :duh:

Personally though I have never had thermal pastes do a vanishing act on me, even with the same application left on for 2-3 years at a time, though this may depend on the paste you use, decent stuff like arctic silver or the shinetsu stuff or el-cheapo no name silicon based sludge.

Providing you stick to decent-ish stuff I can't see it really disappearing, it may seem to have thinned out on the cpu when u take the heatsink off after application but thats normal as its squeezed out slightly at the sides, rather than disappearing, at least if its working as it should, and you don't have a paste swallowing black hole in your cpu socket rather than a processer......

5. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I use paste and never had a problem with it, except that time I trod on the tube - messy.

6. Fubie

Fubie What's a Dremel?

AS3 for me! I haven't had the disappearing paste trick show up on my yet. Who knows.

Fubie

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

I use AS3, but now, according to AMD, it voids your warranty due to it being conductive... use the new product from Arctic Silver, if you aren't overclocking and don't want to void your CPU warranty.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

AS3 here; i didn't know it invalidated the warranty though (not that i don't overclock... but you know... :lol:))

I don't think those pads are as good, how do they work themselves into the tiny cracks and imperfections in the HS and core like a good paste does?

9. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Don't use the pad its very poor compared to paste if you want to lower your temperature. The warranty issue is with AMD is only about 6 months old, they upset alot of people with this. I say **** them just buy an oem version if you intead to overclock.

10. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

thats what they recomend, it's quiet easy to clean the stuff off if needed be so i don't really see a problem. :naughty:

lol i think we have a clear winner with the pole. :rock:

11. Carbon

Carbon Banned

maybe my ASIII is faulty, when i squeese it out its not like it used to be, its like er, more watery if you get me?

12. DarkRain

DarkRain What's a Dremel?

I prefer paste myself and have never noticed that it has disappeared but I rarely remove my heat sinks unless I have to.

As to the paste going watery, i think i know what you mean. I had some Cooler Master premium paste come with an order. At the time I had run out of AS3 so i thought I would use as a stop gap until I got some more AS3.

It turned out the paste had gone from a paste to a more solid substance and didn't spread very well. All that i can think of is that it was not stored properly or something.

I have only just replaced the thermal pad on my Radeon 9800 Pro heat sink with AS Ceramique, and it has made a difference. The heat sink gets hotter than before which I believe is good and I can overclock it by another 5 - 10 MHz.

13. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

An old tube did the same, shake the syringe a little, and wiggle the plunger in and out to mix things up...
    Or buy another tube...
    Paste for sure tho', never had any vanish. thins out but never goes :eyebrow:

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

should be pretty much the same fluidity to it as AS2, so it's probably faulty

15. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Indeed, I just changed HSF and put ASIII on my NB, and the paste was a bit runny when applying to the CPU, but by the time I got to the NB there was goop of a better consistency :)

16. Carbon

Carbon Banned

faulty :eeek: ive been using the same tube for about 6 months and it seems to be getting harder each time... /me makes order for some more. its a bloody fiver a tube tho :(

17. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

AMD2TalkOutOfTheirArse

18. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

thermal paste always :D

19. Slick

Slick What's a Dremel?

Don't use it tbh, and my overclocked tbred b stays around 40 degrees with a dodgy coolermaster fan which cost a tenner :clap:

20. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

The reason AMD recommend the thermal pads is because it's easy for an inexperienced user to apply paste wrongly (eg. all over the whole CPU, way too much, not enough etc) whereas the pads are pretty much foolproof.