1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Well, I wasn't going to reply again, but, what the heck, eh?

That is awesome work there, very nicely done. I don't think I've ever seen such a work of art as this case...

I can't wait for the next update (me will be on 33.6k slow internet because of vacation at that time, but it's worth it :D )...

I give this mod a thumbs up :D

[​IMG]

2. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hi bee2643, thanks for your kind words :) . It took 40 min or so to file the straight edges of the opening. I used the opening as a template to rule up the insert. I spent about 25min filing the insert down to the lines very, very carefully (from a rectangular shape to a curved one) and it then took literally about 2min to test fit and smooth off a couple of edges. I was pretty happy as I thought it would be really difficult/impossible to get the thing fitting having cut and shaped it by hand.

3. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

:lol: :hehe:

That's pretty cool Yo-DUH_87!

4. Hi-TEK

Hi-TEK What's a Dremel?

G-gnome,

Great update! The attention to detail is what impresses me the most about this project, its almost mind boggling. Glad to see my review of the Noise Isolator at MTB gave you some ideas for your project. Since you are working with fragile acrylic, how much prep work do you go before you actually implement a change or idea? I know how carefull you have to be with acrylic since you only get one good shot to get it right the first time.

5. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

:eeek: :clap: :eeek:

yup, this is getting still better! Just amazing and beatiful.

:clap:

6. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

I love what you've done with the VFD... looks great... just a question though, where abouts did you get the fibre optic cable from in Australia... I've been looking into it, and Jaycar charge an absolute fortune for the stuff.

7. Alizarin

Alizarin What's a Dremel?

You must have the patience of a saint. Very clean lines, excellent quality.

And inspiring all kinds of ideas, some for myself included :D :naughty:

8. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hi Hi-Tek :) You'd be surprised just how much inspiration I have gotten from Modthebox reviews and articles! The Singed Gaming Rig ranks up there as one of the best project logs I have ever read.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by 'prep work' - The 3mm acrylic is still quite tough, I generally leave the paper on until each piece is completely finished. I basically just rule it up so, so carefully, use the right tools (the special plexi drills, step drill, etc) and take things very slowly - lots of hand filing and sanding up to my markings. I always drill a pilot hole as accurately as possible before drilling a larger hole to ensure all the holes line up. I also do a lot of practice drilling/cutting with scrap pieces for practice.

Yes, you are right when you say you only get one shot! I managed to shatter the first res mounting plate I made, you can also see a couple of slightly chipped holes (now hidden by washers) from before I got my plexi drills and the lexan mounting for my front junction box is the third one I made! I seem to be avoiding mistakes now as I get more practiced - I had never worked with plexi before this mod.

Also, I buy an enormous sheet of plexi (cut into more manageable sizes) so that it's always handy in case I need to remake something.

As for implementing ideas - I came up with most ideas when I planned the case. I do a sketch and then lots of measuring inside the case, test fitting components (incl using existing pieces as templates for measuring), etc - I made 1 cardboard mockup as well. My main concern is fitting everything together like a big jigsaw puzzle and trying to make it all work and not look like crap. For me, once the planning is done it's really just 'joining the dots', so to speak.

It all seems to work somehow - but not without the occasional frustration and 'heart-in-mouth' moment (like when I cut the holes in the actual C3 case! I was shaky and sweating by the end!).

Hope that sheds some light for you? And thanks for posting :)

9. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hi JazzXP

I think I got my fibre optic at Dick Smith Electronics in Maitland (came in a short length pre-cut and packaged - still way more than I need for this mod but I am thinking of future mods as well ;) ).

I buy most stuff thru Jaycar Electronics and the odd thing from DSE (as there is one right on my way home from work) - jaycar are normally cheaper than DSE for the stuff I buy and the sales staff are much more knowledgable (great for an electronics learner like me).

10. Westfall

Westfall What's a Dremel?

Absolutely amazing. We're following things over at Arstechnica as well. I'm not tooo into modding, but this is probably one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

A buddy of mine was wondering how much you were spending on all of this? You mentioned the chroming was expensive. Can you give us estimates? What about everything else? How bout a total project cost?

Ars linkage: http://arstechnica.infopop.net/Open...77909585&m=7640918285&r=8340979285#8340979285

11. [S]lammer

[S]lammer Can't touch this!

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Well, I really don't know what to say...

This thing belongs in an art museum(as it is better than a lot of the stuff that they call art)...

Absolutely Incredible, Keep Up the good work!! :thumb:

12. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Thanks for the link Westfall - I went and took a look - much appreciated. Cost of chroming? About (equivalent) US$300 (you have only seen half the stuff I got chromed so far :) ). The rest of it you could probably work out from my list of components in the original post (please don't think me rude for not answering - I haven't sat down and worked it out exactly myself as I had been buying parts for the case over about 3 months).

Anyway, please no more questions anyone on how much it costs as I don't really want to be reminded how much I have spent :worried: - just enjoy the Mod for itself.

Cheers

:)

13. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

g-gnome.... looking greater than ever man...

i was just dying for another update on this :D

the mod with the notebook cover was a pretty sweet idea! i love the material they use for that... and the whole VFD mounting was awesome....

i cant wait to see what comes next!!

14. morphos

morphos What's a Dremel?

I don't know what to say besides you're truly some sort of patron saint of modding. This is my first post here, I'm of the [H] crowd, but your lack of arrogance on cost, your professionalism toward documentation and your godlike mastery of surprise and mystery is just incredible. You deserve all of the praise, the views and the awed look of people everywhere you're recieving. I'm hooked.

15. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

Well you have been busy over the weekend....:D :D

Time well spent...

I still can't beleive the cleanliness of it all, you haven't cut corners anywhere. Just rounded them....lol.

Keep it up man...I'm still itching to see that stealthed motherboard...rubbing my hands in anticipation...:thumb:

16. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

I might have to wander down to DSE one lunchtime then.

You are right though, the Jaycar staff know a LOT more about electronics (and their products in general) than the DSE staff.

Thanks for your help.

17. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Welcome to the BiT-Tech forums Morphos! Thanks for taking the time to post.

:clap:

Last edited: 9 Sep 2003
  18. mence

mence What's a Dremel?

JazzXP, you can get the optic fibre at Jaycar as well, they sell it in a little reel IIRC.

G-Gnome, i am amazed. Not only do you have some of the greatest ideas in computer modifications that I have seen for a very long time but you're an AUSSIE! My god, who knew?! :eeek: I have an awful feeling that Bunnings really really likes you now thanks to the amount of money you must have spent there :) I love the stuff that you have done and it has really renewed my interest in modding my machine. I too have been planning and planning and planning - unfortunately I don't quite have the resources (financial and hardware wise) to get things off the ground, so they're staying at planning level atm.

However, keep up the awesome work and we will continue to be amazed by what you've done.

19. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Stunning :eeek:

Rob.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

you took just about the only word I could think of to describe this right out of my mouth! :eeek:

Fantastic stuff :jawdrop: :eeek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.